Easter Egger Speckled Sussex Cross

HMulvey227

Chirping
Jan 12, 2021
Hello, I currently have Easter Egger and Speckled Sussex in the same pen. Does anyone have pictures of a cross between these two? Just curious if I should Hatch eggs. *I know the possibilities are endless for coloring but that's why I would love to see some pictures! Thanks! šŸ˜

Last edited:
I don't have pictures, but... Based on what I can see, this is what could happen:

Your rooster has a plumage very similar to a Coronation Sussex. Light Sussex are silver-based, so Coronation Sussex are probably also Silver-based. LS are used alot to create sex-linked offsprings.

Silver is dominant to Gold in sex-linkage (though cockerels can be silver yet display gold leakage). Put a silver rooster over a red hen and all chicks will be silver. Put a gold rooster over a silver hen, and you get red pullets & white cockerels (who often have some gold too, but are mainly silver.)

This means your rooster's possible parentage is a red, wheaten or blue wheaten Ameraucana dad over a Light or Coronation Sussex. His sisters would be Gold, and his brothers would be Silver.

Speckled Sussex are gold-based, and your rooster is possibly silver-based. If you mate them together, all of their chicks could be silver like their father. I'm not sure if they would be mottled, as that is a recessive gene and needs two copies to manifest on chicken plumage. The speckles of your hen will only show in her babies if your rooster carries them too. He doesn't seem to have them, from what I can see.

I'm no chicken expert when it comes to plumage, but that is one of many possibilities for the results of your chicken mating. The rooster IS an EE, I could be completely wrong with his parentage and it would be hard to tell. Best way to know is to hatch some eggs and see what the chicks grow up to be.

Last edited:
I don't have pictures, but... Based on what I can see, this is what could happen:

Your rooster has a plumage very similar to a Coronation Sussex. Light Sussex are silver-based, so Coronation Sussex are probably also Silver-based. LS are used alot to create sex-linked offsprings.

Silver is dominant to Gold in sex-linkage (though cockerels can be silver yet display gold leakage). Put a silver rooster over a red hen and all chicks will be silver. Put a gold rooster over a silver hen, and you get red pullets & white cockerels (who often have some gold too, but are mainly silver.)

This means your rooster's possible parentage is a red, wheaten or blue wheaten Ameraucana dad over a Light or Coronation Sussex. His sisters would be Gold, and his brothers would be Silver.

Speckled Sussex are gold-based, and your rooster is possibly silver-based. If you mate them together, all of their chicks could be silver like their father. I'm not sure if they would be mottled, as that is a recessive gene and needs two copies to manifest on chicken plumage. The speckles of your hen will only show in her babies if your rooster carries them too. He doesn't seem to have them, from what I can see.

I'm no chicken expert when it comes to plumage, but that is one of many possibilities for the results of your chicken mating. The rooster IS an EE, I could be completely wrong with his parentage and it would be hard to tell. Best way to know is to hatch some eggs and see what the chicks grow up to be.
Awesome! I'll post pictures when they are available šŸ˜Š

He is likely not a first generation ameraucana cross unless bought from a breeder who specifically said he was. Most Easter eggers are EE x EE crosses, and almost all of the ones from hatcheries/feed stores are too.

Cockerels that are silver with gold leakage are either gold/silver splits or have autosomal (non-sexlinked) red.

Ya, hoping someone has pictures! Just curious what they could possibly look like šŸ˜Š I love both breeds very much, sweet ladies with lots of personality lol. This is a picture of my rooster

Attachments

• 20201110_115019.jpg
    20201110_115019.jpg
    895.8 KB · Views: 85
Ya, hoping someone has pictures! Just curious what they could possibly look like šŸ˜Š I love both breeds very much, sweet ladies with lots of personality lol. This is a picture of my rooster
If your EE is gold/silver split, he could produce sons that look like him (possibly with more red leakage), sons that look like the speckled sussex without spots (basically what a Rhode Island Red looks like), daughters that look like him, or daughters that look like the speckled sussex without spots.
If heā€™s pure for silver, he could produce sons that look like him (possibly with more red leakage) and daughters that look like him.
The mottling (white spots) of the speckled sussex is a recessive trait, meaning any first generation crosses wonā€™t inherit it. However, if you cross the offspring together or cross them back to the speckled sussex, youā€™ll see more chicks with mottling.

Hello, I currently have Easter Egger and Speckled Sussex in the same pen. Does anyone have pictures of a cross between these two? Just curious if I should Hatch eggs. *I know the possibilities are endless for coloring but that's why I would love to see some pictures! Thanks! šŸ˜
Did you ever hatch any out? I'm curious to see what they looked like. Also, if they were hens, what color eggs do they lay?

Back
Top Bottom