Easter Egger with yellow legs? updated with a pic

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SierraMadreMadre, Feb 28, 2011.

1. SierraMadreMadre

SierraMadreMadre Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    I picked out a cute little chick from the feed store, she is chipmunk patterned so I assumed that she is an easter egger, but she has yellow legs. do all easters have green legs or could they be yellow. And if they are yellow does that indicate the color egg she'll eventually lay? I'd post a pic but as a new member I can't.
    Edit to add: have enough post to upload a picture now so here it is. after reading your responses I'm pretty sure she is an EE, she is the lighter colored chipmunk in the middle.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

An Easter Egger can have any color legs because they are not a pure breed with any particular standard. Leg color has nothing to do with egg color at all. EEs can even lay brown eggs. If you really want blue eggs, you'd need to get an Ameraucana from a breeder since no hatchery carries true Ameraucanas that I know of.

3. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    I have an EE that looks like an RIR with a beard and muff. She has yellow legs to boot. She lays a pretty green egg!

4. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:EEs are like a box of chocolate, as Forest Gump would say. You never know what you're gonna get, they come in any color for plumage, leg and beak as well as any style comb and any egg color... although green, blue and brown are most common egg colors. They're truely the suprise package chicken.

5. tuthillny

tuthillny Semper Fidelis

Sep 27, 2010
    Ulster Co. NY
    Are you assuming this chick is an EE just based on the chipmunk pattern? There are other breed that have that type of pattern as chicks, yellow legs and all. Good luck

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is true. Speckled Sussex is one of those breeds that appears chipmunky with yellow legs.

ETA: oops, no, they have white. Welsummers have yellow.

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    No- Sussex have white legs. It's more likely a brown leghorn (if it's from the feed store) or a welsummer (not as likely). However- the olive eggers that I hatched from my own welsummer x ameraucana crossing all have yellow legs and lay olive green eggs.

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Many easter eggers do not get the green color to their legs until 2-5 weeks of age. Mine had yellow legs until then!

9. jennifersmith326

jennifersmith326 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Griffin, GA
    I have 2 solid white easter egger chickens, One is a hen and one is a rooster.

They both have black legs and yellow beaks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:It can be a Wellie too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by