Easter egger?

They look like EEs. And PLEASE no matter how upset you are that you got EEs when you bought Ameraucanas DO NOT label them Ameraucanas. That is lying. You would be no better than the person you bought them from and are just contributing to the problem.
Thank you , I was actually not planning on selling these breeds , I’m actually trying to develop a line a chickens with a barred pattern and beard, that lays blue-green eggs. I was trying to figure out should I cross these chickens to each other first then breed the second generation with barred rocks. It should depend on what eggs color they lay

They look like EEs. And PLEASE no matter how upset you are that you got EEs when you bought Ameraucanas DO NOT label them Ameraucanas. That is lying. You would be no better than the person you bought them from and are just contributing to the problem.
And, not to mention you will absolutely totally without question upset Emma something awful 🤣

Thank you , I was actually not planning on selling these breeds , I’m actually trying to develop a line a chickens with a barred pattern and beard, that lays blue-green eggs. I was trying to figure out should I cross these chickens to each other first then breed the second generation with barred rocks. It should depend on what eggs color they lay
Oh cool! Barred Easter Eggers are my favorite! Are you trying to maintain Ameraucana traits but make a barred variety? If that were the case I would personally probably start with black Ameraucanas, and breed to Cuckoo Marans instead of BR that way you can avoid yellow skin popping up In the future.

But if you just want a barred EE, then you could just breed to BR. If you really want to use these particular chicks it may get a bit muddled as EEs are just a bag of unknown genes, but that could make it more fun! Good luck with your project!

Oh cool! Barred Easter Eggers are my favorite! Are you trying to maintain Ameraucana traits but make a barred variety? If that were the case I would personally probably start with black Ameraucanas, and breed to Cuckoo Marans instead of BR that way you can avoid yellow skin popping up In the future.

But if you just want a barred EE, then you could just breed to BR. If you really want to use these particular chicks it may get a bit muddled as EEs are just a bag of unknown genes, but that could make it more fun! Good luck with your project!
Thank you
Yes exactly , that’s why I was so eager to see if they were ameraucanas , I think it can work with Easter eggers though , they only thing is I would want to first breed them back to each other to have more variants of the blue egg gene in the chickens gene pool.

I feel like if I bred Marans their dark eggs would be more prominent. I also think they are hard to come by in my area , I have yet to even see one.

Thank you
Yes exactly , that’s why I was so eager to see if they were ameraucanas , I think it can work with Easter eggers though , they only thing is I would want to first breed them back to each other to have more variants of the blue egg gene in the chickens gene pool.

I feel like if I bred Marans their dark eggs would be more prominent. I also think they are hard to come by in my area , I have yet to even see one.
@JadeFarms has been working on making cuckoo Ameraucanas. Maybe she could help?

The feathers on the head also look like they're cascading as well. I'm pretty sure that may be a crest, @Overo Mare @Rhodebar Lover your more experienced then me, what do you think?
Honestly I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. It really is unusually fluffy, but doesn't look crested to me. Most crested breeds have vaulted skulls which this bird does not. It's long fluff also seems be more on the back on the head/neck area than a true crest. Breeds like Cream Legbars do become crested as they mature, but as chicks they don't show cresting or have very very minor differences. Theoretically since it's an EE it could be part Cream Legbar, except it does have a pea comb which makes me assume it's most likely the conventional South-American breed derived EE. We will see as it matures! :)

Back
Top Bottom