Easter Eggers all stopped laying at 15 months old. Been almost 4 months now.

shoot! My husband won't like that. I love EE but feeding them for months without eggs . Mine stopped 3 weeks ago. So did my salmon Faverolles. They have fenced areas 35'x40' (6 chickens) and 25'x30'(4 chickens)
The only consistent layer is my Serama Silkie hen which lays 5+ a week till she went broody. On day 16 all 9 eggs are going strong. Thought she stopped laying but she was burying her eggs in the bedding.
I assume I chose the wrong breeds.
Many breeds don't lay consistently. Choosing egg laying breeds and culling them at 2-3 years will maximize you egg production. Even the higher egg producers will take a few months off during the molt season. It is physically taxing to produce eggs, and birds need a break to replenish their reserves.

It's very normal for chickens to stop laying towards the end of summer or early fall, when they begin to molt. And it's also very normal for them to not start laying again till spring is on the way. The good news is that the equinox is just a few more weeks away and the days will start getting longer again. That will trigger the pituitary gland to start pumping out the hormones for egg production again.
In the mean time, you don't need to keep giving them layer feed. It's got way too much calcium in it for birds that aren't laying.

Back
Top Bottom