Easter eggers go broody?

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
I have searched and getting different answers to my question about my easter egger possibly going broody. One sight says they are non setters another site says they are. I went out at 8:30pm to check and she is not roosting like the others she is in the nesting corner.( kinda late to be laying an egg, maybe she is:confused: ) So, naturally I thought hmmmmmm. I'll go check later. But do they or don't they go broody?

My hens play tag team one hen started to set,then my easter egger hatched out 2 babies. My orpingtons are suppose to go broody and they do for only like a week. My easter egger Angel did a great job. And she's the most maternal of all. But she is the only one of my 4 EE's that did. Good luck:)

Mine's sitting on 5 eggs right now!

She's an awsome broody, very faithful.
This is my EE, "Lavender"
3313976647_92072e641e.jpg

Easter eggers are mutts and the only thing they are really bred for specifically is laying colored eggs. They can have any type of personality, laying ability, etc... It varies greatly. Sometimes the EE sold in hatcheries are directly crossed with some other breed and you end up with the occasional one that doesn't even lay colored eggs. The only way you might get a useful answer on whether your particular EE might go broody is to ask people who have bought from the same source so they have similar breeding.

Quote:
Thanks for y our replies. I got them from cackle hatchery and they were listed as Araucanas. I'm sure they are really EE's. Also, I have noticed this EE hen distance herself from the flock when free ranging. She will do this for several hours. Then of course I find her on the nest late last night. When I went back out later she was in another corner so I gathered the rest of the eggs that were left behind. Are these early signs of broodiness? All my hens are almost 11 mo old. I have BO hens too and know they can go broody. Need to search more info.

One of my EE went missing last Monday night. Tonight I went to go shut the girls in and there she was, and she wasn't there an hour ago. I watched her for about 15 mins. She went in the house and got on her perch and sat like she was going to sleep - so I shut them in. I can only guess she left her eggs. I really hope she wasn't going to go back to them?

Quote:

Thanks for y our replies. I got them from cackle hatchery and they were listed as Araucanas. I'm sure they are really EE's. Also, I have noticed this EE hen distance herself from the flock when free ranging. She will do this for several hours. Then of course I find her on the nest late last night. When I went back out later she was in another corner so I gathered the rest of the eggs that were left behind. Are these early signs of broodiness? All my hens are almost 11 mo old. I have BO hens too and know they can go broody. Need to search more info.
Yes those are all signs of her broody.I have one EE doing same thing as yours is and now she’s getting ready for tomorrow crockpot 😊

Back
Top Bottom