Easter Eggers, No eggs at 23 weeks?

Okay.. so we started putting a small bit of cat food into the feed for the ducks to get them started a week ago. It worked ( or it's a huge coincidence ), 3 days after we started that we got our first duck egg. But, we also got our very first 2 easter egger eggs as well on the same day! So I am thinking that clutch likes cat food, too! Even though they seemed to be spitting it out I am thinking some do like it. This week past, 4/5 of my EE are laying. Both ducks and EE are 23/24 weeks old. Hang in there, and maybe offer some cat food? lol

So, one of my girls are finally laying, a pretty light green color. Seven days later, she had a rough discolored egg. 2 days later she laid an egg with no shell, the skin was also there. When she lays she goes back into her coop to do it( she does not lay in the nesting box she digs a big scoop in the corner) but this time the shell less egg she had in the run, just inside the door/ramp as I was opening it. She wasn't very chatty that day but the next day she was back to her perfect little self. She seems totally fine.... The problem, she has not laid since. Its been 5 days now. I am getting worried. Do any of you wonderful people know what this is about? Enclosed egg pics, one perfect the other not so much. The bad looking one was normal in the inside.

Attachments

• 1024201313.jpg
    1024201313.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1101201405_Burst01.jpg
    1101201405_Burst01.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 5
My EE birds are probably the slowest laying birds I've ever had. One batch hatched Easter Day, the next hatched Mother's Day. I have two laying from the Easter Hatch, a pullet from the Easter Hatch still isn't laying at 30 weeks.. and the two pullets from the Mothers Day hatch are getting red in the face but nothing.

I also have two older hens (a 1 year old and a 2/2.5 year old) who molted for the winter and haven't picked up laying again yet.

I'm getting *maybe* two eggs per day.

However, I've always heard that birds who are slower to get to laying age typically have a longer laying life in general. Production breeds always just sort of... Fizzle out after a couple years.

I guess I spoke too soon,,,kinda. Just went outside to check on them and my no shell egg layer just laid one in front of me on the grass, totally intact except for that pesky shell, no where to be seen. She looks like she needs to lay another the way she is standing. As soon as I opened the big door to the run she came in stood the for a moment, closed her eyes for about 30 secs. then went into her coop up on her perch. Does anyone know what I should do?

I guess I spoke too soon,,,kinda. Just went outside to check on them and my no shell egg layer just laid one in front of me on the grass, totally intact except for that pesky shell, no where to be seen. She looks like she needs to lay another the way she is standing. As soon as I opened the big door to the run she came in stood the for a moment, closed her eyes for about 30 secs. then went into her coop up on her perch. Does anyone know what I should do?

What's their calcium situation? Does she have fresh water? It's not uncommon for a new layer to lay a couple funky eggs when they first start but it sounds like she might be lacking enough calcium in her diet.

Are there extra egg shells or oyster shells you can supplement or have been supplementing?

Back
Top Bottom