Easter Eggers, No eggs at 23 weeks?

What's their calcium situation? Does she have fresh water? It's not uncommon for a new layer to lay a couple funky eggs when they first start but it sounds like she might be lacking enough calcium in her diet.

Are there extra egg shells or oyster shells you can supplement or have been supplementing?
Hi, thank you. I give her OS & ES separately in their run. They free range about 8 hrs a day. I also have food with os & es that I leave on the outside of their run with fresh water. I have sprinkled both shells around the yard so she can pick on it anywhere. I am lost on this one.

Hi, thank you. I give her OS & ES separately in their run. They free range about 8 hrs a day. I also have food with os & es that I leave on the outside of their run with fresh water. I have sprinkled both shells around the yard so she can pick on it anywhere. I am lost on this one.

Wow, I would get worried, too. My first thought is also calcium.. strange. Have you seen her actually eat it?

Any signs of illness? Sneezing, scabs on the wattles or legs? I saw you mentioned that she laid another shelless egg and went back to her perch. How's she been acting since?

I wonder if she hatched with a defective shell gland or if she's just having a hard time getting regulated.

https://poultrykeeper.com/egg-problems/soft-thin-or-missing-egg-shells/

This is a good read for why she might not be laying good eggs. It might help you knock out some problems and see if you might need to change her diet a bit!

Any signs of illness? Sneezing, scabs on the wattles or legs? I saw you mentioned that she laid another shelless egg and went back to her perch. How's she been acting since?

I wonder if she hatched with a defective shell gland or if she's just having a hard time getting regulated.

https://poultrykeeper.com/egg-problems/soft-thin-or-missing-egg-shells/

This is a good read for why she might not be laying good eggs. It might help you knock out some problems and see if you might need to change her diet a bit!
Right after she laid it she looked puffed up, uncomfortable & tired. Before she laid that morning she was fine. Today she is like her old self. We had 6 days of perfect eggs, the shells were pretty thick, but I'm used to egglands best, which has pretty thin shells. I'm going to read what you sent. Thanks much! I'll check back in later.

At last!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3354.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 2
Right after she laid it she looked puffed up, uncomfortable & tired. Before she laid that morning she was fine. Today she is like her old self. We had 6 days of perfect eggs, the shells were pretty thick, but I'm used to egglands best, which has pretty thin shells. I'm going to read what you sent. Thanks much! I'll check back in later.
So, she was laying again, 5 days this time, today a very small, very soft but still light green egg. Her shells are pretty thick, maybe she's just not a woman yet;)

Sounds like her egg laying system is still working out all the kinks. Try crushing up a Tums or Rolaids, stir it into a scrambled egg and make sure she gets to eat all of it herself. I think she needs more calcium and protein. I went through this with one of my Welsummer pullets. Now she is giving us 3 or 4 pretty chocolate brown speckled eggs again. While her system was "malfunctioning" her eggs were shell less, soft, or a very light salmon color. Hope this helps! Also, remember it is Fall, chickens tend to lay less often now, as there is less sunlight. 👍

Back
Top Bottom