Easter Eggers-What breeds do YOU prefer to cross your Ameraucanas with?

Thanks! Does your profile pic include a blue wheaton roo and hen or two roos? Perhaps what I am calling the BW hen is a bw splash. I'll take hafta take some pics.

Thanks! Does your profile pic include a blue wheaton roo and hen or two roos? Perhaps what I am calling the BW hen is a bw splash. I'll take hafta take some pics.
My pic is two BW roos. The front of one and the back of the other, lol! Silly boys.

Here are my BW hens.

Last edited:
Great thread! Right now I am experimenting. I am using some of my Ameraucana's. The following breeds is what i breed with my Ameraucana Roos. Black Australorp, Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Production Red, and Blue Cochin ( Very nice looking chick, Looks like a Ameraucana chick but with feathered legs.)

Some of these have the tuffs and some dont.

This was my very first Ameraucana/ Blue Cochin

I have a bunch of EE that I got from a BYC member that loves to hatch eggs. Some were from her own flock, but I think some were also from other peoples. Most of them are EExEE but there are a couple crosses in there.

The EE over Black Australorp were a pair, solid black, the pullet has a tiny pea comb and her brother had more of a ribbon comb. She lays a pale olive/sort of greenish/grey egg. Very hard to describe, but easy to pick out from the others.

There are two or three pullets that are lavender orpington over EE hens. They are a really pretty gold and grey, varying amounts of grey and feather patterning. I'm still waiting for them to start laying, but imagine they will also lay a light olive.

Of the EExEE pullets that are laying a couple lay a pale, pure blue and a couple others lay a more greenish egg.

I would like to develop a line of EE that are a bit more dual purpose; lots of large colored eggs, with meatier boys. When my black copper marans grow up I'll work on olive eggers too.

Would there be any advantage when trying to promote the blue egg gene along with good egg production to start with a true Ameraucana rather than using EE's? Barnyard EE's are alot cheaper than buying a true Ameraucana and there seams to be lots of genetic diversity out there.

and to get good eggs make sure the leghorn or other is a roo and amaricuana is a girl

teh male gene carries the egg quantity
I've never heard of this. Could you please give a reference or link to where you read this. Thanks.

I stumbled upon this while looking for info on a cross I'm incubating. :

Quote:
the source is here:http://alanbishop.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=home&action=print&thread=5115

Only reference I saw tho. Don't know how much truth there is to it. Maybe someone here can confirm.

From what I've learned thru trial and error, the gene that carries the blue shell can't be "beefed up". They either have it or they don't. It does come along with the pea comb. The trouble with breeding to white egg layers is a sacrafice in body size. My opinion is to breed to birds that lay light brown or tinted eggs to minimize the brown coating on the blue eggs. Breeds like orpington or speckled sussex will give u a close to blue egg and still a big bird.

Hey guys quick question, i have a black AM Rooster. And a blua Andalusian what color eggs would they come out to?. I have 2 chicks hatched out already. They both look identical but the first is more black and the second one is more silverishh?. PS. They both have tuffs on there cheeks. . Thanks. :))

I'm curious...what about what you might get crossing a Blue Ameraucana rooster on:
1) Blue Laced Red Wyandotte? or even a silver laced Wyandotte?
2)Buff Brahma?
3) Cinnamon Queen?

Back
Top Bottom