? Easter Eggers ?

I have 3 EE's...the last one finally began laying today...a very pretty sky blue egg. The other two lay one that looks to have a lil brown in it.

I love my EE's...Sweet Cheeks was friendly from day old and is still my buddy. Opal comes and tells me all her woes and wipes her tears on my t-shirt.
gig.gif
Ladyhawk also loves to come and sit on my arm and tell me all the day's events in the coop/run.

I want more! Didn't think I would like them in the beginning but wanted a colorful egg basket. Now I love the girls.

Ooh! Ooh! I have to jump in here and brag about my EE's! I raised two batches of chicks this summer, and included some EE's in both - mainly for the colored eggs. I was wonderfully surprised to find that these chickens are the most affectionate and people-friendly of any breed I've gotten so far, and I have some pretty friendly hens!

My three little EE's will begin laying any day now, so I don't know yet what color eggs I'll get. But it would even be fine if they were plain white. The fact they're sooooo lovable (they hop onto my back when I'm cleaning the pen and leap into my arms for a hug every chance they get), more than meets my expectations!

I also adore their fluffy ear muffs and beards!

I have 3 EEs, and today, one of them their first egg at 24 weeks old. I got them when they were about one week old, as there was a mix-up with the people I ordered chicks with. They were the most skittish chicks, and as they got to be "teenagers", they were very hard to catch. I handled them daily when they were chicks and tried to have as much interaction, handling, feeding them treats, and getting them to be friendly to me. It didn't seem to be working, until they started "squatting" (they do this for roosters and when they're just about ready to start laying) for me about a week ago. Now, when I reach for them or they see me coming, they'll squat and I can pick them up, pet them, talk to them, etc. They are very pretty birds, and the first egg I got from them, albeit small, is a very pretty pale blue/green. I love their "muffs" and their tails are so pretty, as they're bigger and fuller than the Red Stars (Golden Comets, etc) and other pullets the same age.
And they do seem to have different "personalities". Truth, a white, buff and gray EE, is the wildest of them all, and while I didn't like the idea of a "white" chicken, she turned out to be very beautiful. She still needs some work on being handled, but I think she'll come around. She usually walks around with her tail feathers all "fluffed out" like she's proud of herself.
Love, who's mostly dark brown/black, with patterns similar to the "partridge" coloring and a beautiful golden/buff head, is very sweet and moves her head quickly from left to right whenever I go to pick her up. It's so funny! She used to be very skittish, but she's getting friendlier by the day.
Mercy, who's almost identical to Love, but darker, is the friendliest of the EEs, and will sometimes squat when she sees my coming her way. I had a nice long "talk" with her today, and asked her if she was the one who laid the first egg, as she was checking out the nesting box the past couple of days.
As far as size goes, since they're still pullets, they are about the same size of the Red Star pullets, but are narrower and more "leggy". They're not "hefty", more like the build of a leghorn, or polish. They've been that way since young chicks, and I don't know whether they'll fill out or stay that way.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom