Easter Eggers

ErikaSmit

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Schererville, IN
We have had problems with chickens flying over the fence and annoying the neighbors. So my DH put up a 4 1/2' fence. Not too long after that our oldest EE Dumpling flew right over. In the following weeks 2 more EE have traveled over the fence. We eventually had to clip Dumpling's wings but.... I'm wondering are EE that good at flying? None of the other breeds have even gotten close!!

The culprit (on the right)
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/edeckah/CIMG4399.jpg

Last edited:
They're fairly good fliers, yes. It may also just be personality you're seeing though. Honestly my best fliers are my Araucanas and Polish, but, I think a big part of the flying thing is about who has a more wild-type personality.

More popular/domestic type breeds such as Rocks, Orpingtons, Australorps, Brahmas, etc - Doesn't matter what weight of such you have, they tend not to fly as much.

My experience though.

EE are a slight to medium build, a 4 1/2 foot fence isn't an obstacle at all. A 4 1/2 foot fence is tall enough to present a challenge to a heavy-bodied breed such as an orpington, but not to a slight-medium build such as EE or leghorn. With 4 1/2 feet and neighbors who are annoyed at chickens venturing out of your yard you should really trim everyone's wings. Trust me, even with clipped wings an EE and even a heavy bodied breed with enough motivation will still go over that fence (says the woman who's father sent an Ameraucana rooster and a heavy speckled sussex hen over her 4 foot chainlink fence with his chicken-chasing dog).

HAHA! My dogs find them too! But all they do is lick them until they are sopping wet. I THOUGHT that would be enough to keep em in ....
lol.png

My best flier is my polish mix girl. They could all go over the 4' fence I have if they wanted to. They don't.. Not sure why.. :/ Seems that if they have something to land on before going over, they are more apt to jump it.

All my breeds and mutts alike are kept in with 5 foot fencing, and honestly no one bothers flying out despite their ability to. I think though a big reason why is that they were raised from chickhood up in that place, and it's well over 2 acres in size, so, there's no need to leave. Plenty of good stuff inside the fencing. As for small backyards, I've heard plenty of chickens flying the fence to meet the neighborhood. A part of that may be that there's more interesting things on the other side or the original yard is too small. Really depends on both birds' personality and the yard's size and environment.

If you have reluctant fliers, best thing to do is keep them in somewhere that has a top over it. (netting, fencing, roofing) Whether it be a large pen or a small run.

Back
Top Bottom