Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awww, you guys!
big_smile.png

I think I might have a way to get it done. One is that if I leave the materials and have the kids and I out of the house this weekend, he says he will come back and build it while i am gone. This is a control move, but I don't really care, bc at least I will have it done. My fear is that he will drag it out tho to make me desparate to depend on him, so two ladies at work gave me their husband's phone number and said they wouldnt charge much for labor.

I was really going into this chicken thing for a long term thing, but I am starting to wonder if I can, and still do all the other stuff I will need to do---kids, home, work, lawn mowing, lol.

I know I can do searches, but I am pretty new to this site and can't really navigate, and I have the kids that are kind of needing some attention right now. As far as winters go, in East Tenn, You can leave chickens outside, right? Or have the garage as an emergency if its subzero or something?

He was a farmer before, so I was kinda depending on his knowledge, so i am doing the research as I go. Right now I am just at raising chicks and building a coop! If this is going to be too much for me, I dont want the birds to suffer for it, I'd just do something to focus on raising them until Aug when we have the fair, and finding them homes then. How many hrs a week do you put into chickens, and are there certain seasons they take more work?

geez, it is raining hard here and lightening, but not the hail I heard of in southern VA. I heard it was going to hit Greeneville tho.

@TNkidsnextdoor, i have a coop, im not using out by my families in bybee (near newport, but between it and sorta morristown), you can have for a hundred if you can pick up. it is heavy, as family was saying it needed to be bear proof, but never had a bear or anything bother with the coop. it was fine for winter when i had half a dozen birds, but will need shelves or nesting boxes put in, as i never set to many up and took ones had out. its not to pretty anymore, but will do in pinch with slight day's work, as had set up with deer netting instead of wire on sides and floor (to make easy cleaning of droppings and can put floor back in over, or make so slides out underneath). i dont know if itll be good for more than half to dozen birds if in all the time, but if attach a bit of fencing as run, or movable day run, you wont have to worry about cutting lawn.

Quote:
We live in Jonesborough, TN which is very close to Johnson City. You'll love it here!

Oh, by the way......Hi everyone! Love seeing the East Tennessee thread! I give it a
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

TNkidsnextdoor,

I have one that is unfinished but may still work. All it needs is a roof and nest boxes. It has been out at my grandmothers in the weather for the past year since I moved out. My finished one is already going to my landlord in exchange for 1 month's rent but the unfinished one I can go look at tomorrow if you, or anyone, might be interested in it. It is painted on the outside, roosts on the inside, and stick on tile for the floor. I think I need to put new screws on the door but like I said, its heavy but free if you want it, or if anyone else may want to look at it. If I get out there tomorrow I will try and take pics so you can see what it looks like.

Here is an old picture of the frame on my page here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=24256-arabesque-coops the red and white finished one is the one I am using for rent money but the one being built is the one I am talking about, it has red plywood walls and white trim now too, big barn doors that open in the front with a little chicken door cut out of one.

If anyone wants pics let me know.

btw it is just outside Oak Ridge going towards Clinton for area location

Hi Everyone. I'm a newbie. I live in the Knoxville Area. I raise Muscovies, Black & Blue Swedish, Indian Runner, Khaki Campbell, & Magpie Ducks. I'm in search of someone local who might have some BBS Orpingtons for sale, now or in the near future. I love my ducks, but it is finally time to add some chickens to my flock.
wee.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I can already tell that this forum is gonna be addicting!

MrsFordTN, I PM'ed you. Thanks.

We have a member here that lives in Parrotsville that was breeding BBS ORPs. I do not know if she still is as I have not seen her online in a long time.

welcome-byc.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom