Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laughingdog...contact Lynn McCoy in Jefferson City...she a certified wildlife rehabilatator and can tell you what to feed. She gets in a lot of baby fowl. I will try to find her number so you can call her. If it is long distance for you I can see if she will call you.

I was at laughingdogs Thursday and did not see anything that could have been a problem environmentally. Have you lost anything else?? If the parents ingested bad food they would pass it on to their babies by feeding them. Is the baby goat OK??? You guys should see his baby goat!! He is so sweet and house trained...yes...saw it for myself.
clap.gif

OK...I am off to find Lynn's number.

Quote:
OMG! I'm soo sorry laughingdog, I have no clue how to raise baby cockatiels! I wonder why the bread would have killed them so fast... I hope you don't have trace amounts of carbon monoxide in your house, you know its a silent killer. I hope you figure this out and the babies will be okay!

I had thought Carbon Monoxide but Laughingdog has a lot of birds all in the same area.....so I would think it would have killed all of them.

I called my friend I told you about who is the local expert on birds. She said that there is a powder that you use but it can be expensive. You could call the pet store at the Mall. They may have it or can tell you where to find it. I have tried to contact Lynn McCoy 865-397-1595 but was busy.

So if you can keep calling her and call the pet store. Good Luck!

I am in Dandridge and I am looking to buy a blue wheaton Ameraucana Rooster or an Ameraucana rooster to bred with these hens. I would like a Rooster with slate blue legs if possible. The best way to contact me is my email [email protected]. Thanks Dwayne

41831_chicken_584.jpg

41831_chicken_541.jpg

41831_chicken_632.jpg

41831_cochin_pics_043.jpg

no nothing else died but some roaches i fed the bread to as well. the one baby was doing ok, but seemed to be doing that odd suddenly crippled or neurological thing seeming partially paralyzed, but perked up to perfect after second feeding with this formula i got, after n=made some horrible green and black liquid poos (just trying to show what was maybe a symptom of cleansing toxins???), were he usually just make white or yellow, pasty poos. rest of animals seem fine, and if the iels is alive tommorrow, ill guess he is over it (he got out of nest and was scuttling around and trying to chase me a bit for food). this was probly bad, but put him in butter tub with pine shavings, so he would stay warm and not be able to get, or shoot his poo out hopefully. when was two, it was so warm the parents were staying out, except to feed, and heat was only on seventy, but alone seems the tiel got chilled so decided to put him with chicks, but separated best as possible. got the rosecomb roo back, so see how he re integrates into flock, as at other pkace even was brooding chicks that were just bought and weeks older, from store, of various types, but worried he was attacking hawks and cats to try to protect them, so guy said again i could have him.
smile.png
need more banty hens to occupy my roosters now! lol...

Argh, so you guys have helped me before, so here goes!

This whole chicken thing was SOs idea, but I have gotten really excited about it. He's a tradesman, so I was planning Super Coop.

But he's gone for good now, and rather suddenly. And the builders are fixing a mold problem in my bsmnt, so it's me, 4 kids (11, 9, 7, 1) and 22 3 week old chickens, who are living in my tiny living room , and beginning to flutter over their breeder box walls.

I got a drill off the lowes clearnace shelf. I have plywood in my basment, I think enuf for the coop. (22 sexlink pullets, 10 go back to 4h in Aug)

I can get a saw.

I guess I can get 2x4s home on the floor board of my minivan, right?

So considering East Tenn weather, and the fact that I have never built a thing in my life other than screw together furniture from Big Lots target, what features do I need? We are near Jonesborough---foxes or coyotes, neighbor dogs, racoons.

I posted on Craigslist the other day, and shopped around Johnson City today but the cheaptest thing I can find (other than for like 3 chx) is $1000!

If someone can tell me what features I dont need, or what I do need, that'd be great. Or maybe if you could post links to pix of your East Tenn coops?

Some things I am wondering: what kind of ventalation and waetherization do I have to have to start off? Like min building. I have a salvage door and salvage windows I was planning to use, but I spent all afternoon crying in Lowes bc I don"t know how to pick out a saw. So prob the fancy work is a no-go.

Also, am I in over my head here? And if I am, can I build something for the 10 4H chicks we have to give back, and post the rest on here? I was really wanting freah eggs for the baby and also my vegetarian daughter.

I cant afford a wooden shed, but could swing a small metal one. Can that be modified considering our weather? And if so, what tools would I need?

I have been in contact with my local UT ag-ext, but they arent really chx people from what I can tell. Any other resources you can suggest?

I basically need to know what I can throw up with no building skills that can get these birds safely out of my lr. And then what features I need to modify from there.

I was planning on using my (ex) tradesman and materials I had to house my chicks. But if you know of a good coop builder in upper est tn, or if you can tell me what I need to get these birds outta my LR, I'd like that info. They are sweet, but I have feather dust in my sippy cup bin.

I have plywood. If I can't use it, can that be tradedin somewhere?

Thanks!

TNkidsnextdoor, sounds like you have alot on your plate! This is one of the coops I built (with a bit of help from DH
love.gif
) Quite simple and fits 10 chickens nicely. DH said we could possibly help ya out with building one for less than what you've been looking at for sure. Only problem is you live 2.5 hours away! Lemme know what you think.

55886_mini_coop_front.jpg

55886_mini_coop_nest_back.jpg

55886_mini_coop_side.jpg

What a great morning. I just had a wild turkey display to my chickens right out front of my house. He was in full wide tail display too. Never seen a wild one do that only the farm ones. Way too cool.
yippiechickie.gif

Maybe we can help TNkidsnextdoor with an old fashion coop raising.

I helped tear down an old commercial chicken house and have some 2x4s that I could possibly donate to the cause.
But I've got to warn you they are old sawmill type and they measure a little over 2 inches by a little over 4 inches.
Some are straight and some are not but maybe they could be of use.

stanglover2011

If you talk with TNkidsnextdoor and get a date together maybe if I'm free, I can join in and lend a hand.
I have most of the tools that would be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom