Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a duck question. What do you do in the winter,to keep a constant source of water, when the temps are freezing and below? I'm in the Asheville,NC area. Our last winter was mild but the two before that were nasty. I don't have any ducks just chickens,a lot of chickens! If I were to get ducks I like the calls or the khaki campbells or the muskovy. Thanks.

This past winter was actually my first winter with ducks so I can only guess at the difficulty of a really cold winter with a week or so below freezing. I had purchased a heated water dish in case it got really cold but never had to use it. Their kiddie pool did freeze over for a couple weeks, but ducks don't need water to swim in. They only need water deep enough to fully submerge their heads in order to clean their bills and such.
That being said, they are happier with water to swim in. They can clean their feathers far more efficiently with a pool or small pond.

Now ducks and water is a messy subject because ducks will foul a water bowl in a matter of minutes if not seconds, so you get used to changing water at least daily. Much like coons, ducks will "clean" their food and dirt they pick up around the bowl.

Managing the water and feed area has been the biggest challenge so far in keeping ducks. Fencing was easy, housing was easy, and even free ranging has been easy.

I'm thinking we could do either Norris Municipical State Park or Big Ridge State Park, Norris is only an hour away for me, Big Ridge 1 hour and 15 minutes... I like Norris, the lake is one of the cleanest! Or, we could just go with a small picnic area in any of the small parks between knoxville and morristown...

Norris is not far from me at all! We went to Twin Cove Marina a lot last year. Had a blast, feeding the ducks and fish. That's my sons favorite part.

Posted a thread in the shows/chickenstocks/meetups part of the forum about the newport show thats coming up very soon, feel free to check it out.
I also saw those woodducks monday, if one had been a female would be very tempted if I wasnt expanding my call flock massively.

thought at least GRAWG would appreciate the thought of how beautiful pair of drake wood ducks i saw at the first monday sale.
Wood ducks are definitely beautiful but are way over my head when it comes to care. The flying and diet would be too much for me atm...maybe in 10 years or so I'll build an aviary and pick up a pair
smile.png

I'm just jealous that you guys can go somewhere close by and see something so exotic

This past winter was actually my first winter with ducks so I can only guess at the difficulty of a really cold winter with a week or so below freezing. I had purchased a heated water dish in case it got really cold but never had to use it. Their kiddie pool did freeze over for a couple weeks, but ducks don't need water to swim in. They only need water deep enough to fully submerge their heads in order to clean their bills and such.
That being said, they are happier with water to swim in. They can clean their feathers far more efficiently with a pool or small pond.

Now ducks and water is a messy subject because ducks will foul a water bowl in a matter of minutes if not seconds, so you get used to changing water at least daily. Much like coons, ducks will "clean" their food and dirt they pick up around the bowl.

Managing the water and feed area has been the biggest challenge so far in keeping ducks. Fencing was easy, housing was easy, and even free ranging has been easy.

Thank you so much for the info.

I didnt see a collie, but then again i came around abit past 10 when im usually there at 7.

yeah, most think he is an aussie, border collie, or sheltie, but he is just a tri color over white (black white and tan), runt of the litter, as rest are the traditional lassie colored and large german shepard sized collies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom