Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
So sorry for your losses. I do not let my birds out that early due to night time predators still around. 9am is the earliest I let out anymore.

I'm so sorry! Hope you find the others. We had predator attacks all day long at our old property.

Nellabean- that would be great, thank you!

Laughingdog - I can get some pics in the next couple of days. I have partridge, black, black mottled and lavender (all bantam). The black northers are looking to have some great type. Can't tell on the others quite yet.

Quote:
So sorry for your losses. I do not let my birds out that early due to night time predators still around. 9am is the earliest I let out anymore.

I hated making them miss the nicest, coolest part of the day. In hindsight, that was pretty stupid of me. I thought that since I'd never had daytime predators that we home clear as soon as the sun came up. Now that I've done research, it looks like those are the worst times of days, two hours before nightfall, and two hours after sun up.

Now that I suspect that we've fed whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be back. I'm going to TS now to get electric wire to put around the run. Everyone will be secure in the coop, and I'll be waiting to see what shows up, but I just want that extra protection.

tennessseeckn... sorry to hear it... they may come back. I have had chickens leave and hide for more than 24 hours and magically appear again like nothing happened.

With the heat they may have went to hide and decided it was nice there... they might be back around dark. Let us know!!!

yes, they could have gone off, as when horribly hot, sometimes mine shed alot of feathers from a predator attack and just go hide ( the cockrels.. lol), then come back when fear/shock wears off, they even go quiet stealth mode and dont make any noise back or even move to be heard. just trying to be positive! and if its not the posative part, then at least think of it being better that your cockrels were doing job defending the flock.

A little good news! DH saw one rooster shoot across a clearing this evening when he was checking the woods for remains or a den. He said it couldn't have been injured too badly at the rate it was moving. He told me it was the small one, which confused me since they are all four roughly the same size. Maybe he was missing tail feathers and looked smaller, or maybe it was just the way he was hunkered down.

I'm opening the coop at 6:00 tomorrow, like normal, to see if we can lure whatever it is back. I'm also hoping they'll be three cockerels waiting at the door for me.

Thanks for the encouragement. It helps to have some optimism.

For those of you that are familiar with my flock, the ones missing are Pierre, MoMo, and Roo.

Will keep my fingers crossed for you
fl.gif

Ya'll keep making your avatars blue orps and I feel like going out and getting a pic of Gus so I can make it my avatar. LOL!!! Like "silly bands" we'll make Blue Orp avatars cool

Quote:

I hated making them miss the nicest, coolest part of the day. In hindsight, that was pretty stupid of me. I thought that since I'd never had daytime predators that we home clear as soon as the sun came up. Now that I've done research, it looks like those are the worst times of days, two hours before nightfall, and two hours after sun up.

Now that I suspect that we've fed whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be back. I'm going to TS now to get electric wire to put around the run. Everyone will be secure in the coop, and I'll be waiting to see what shows up, but I just want that extra protection.

When you put your fence up...put strips of aluminum foil on it with peanut butter smeared on the end of them. Most commonly raccoon are the culprit to lose of chickens. That and fox. The PB "treat" gives them a really nice little shock and they just cannot pass it up. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom