Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
YW...I dont think you will have a problem if you pick a quieter breed and do not get a rooster. Try an ameracauna if you dont mind the blue eggs. They are fairly well known to be quiet.

You might consider these hens / pullets as well they are all fairly quiet, decent layers, average to better in cold weather, and average to seldom broody: Australorp, Ameracauna, Deleware, Dominique, Holland, Sussex.

Last edited:
Quote:
Have your hubby, son, friendly male neighbors, uncles, nephews, male cousins (over the age of 16 they need to be producing hormones / phermones) Urinate around the area they are coming from (I know...this is a family board, but it works!! and what a story to tell the grand kids about how you got to know the neighbor
gig.gif

I took ur advise n looked through ur breeds section. I really like the sussex, deleware, dominique, n think I like the sussex best for my needs. if I'm. Silly question: if I'm only getting 2 pullets, is it alright to have 2 of the same breed, or should I mix them, say sussex n deleware, or does it matter. Thx

Quote:
It does not matter really, but with only 2 I would stick with the same breed ( IMO )
Besides that....when chicken math sets in, you will have an opportunity to try out others. LOL
On the butchering thing..I dont know anyone up there, but my wife and I are up there at least once a month to visit her parents in Grey. If you needed one dispatched to the freezer, I am sure we could come by and do it pretty fast on the way.

Last edited:
Oh believe me, if I didn't have to sneak my chickens in, n hide them somewhere in my yard n pray I don't get caught, I would have 8-10. Would love a roo n babies, but I could never pull that off. Any thoughts on butchering close to me? Really appreciate ur input bairo.

Quote:
Chicken math is a way to feel good about how many birds you've brought in. Say I have 10 hens, 20 chicks, 1 rooster, and and 4 of my hens are setting on eggs. Well, chicks aren't chickens, and they eat less so now I just have 11 chickens. Well since four hens are setting they aren't laying, and they are in the coop all day so they are no use to me at that moment, so now I have 7 chickens, well the rooster doesn't lay eggs and I really don't hatch that much so now I have 6 chickens.
lol.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom