Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
bummed I will miss the gathering I'll be out in Colorado having fun :)

Tennesseeckn-I'd love to be a home for your orp!! Could I get her in a few wks?

Arghh! Now I want a lav orp too! Thx for the offer barnqueen! Maybe when I get a bigger coop? (uh oh its already starting!!)

Tnbearchick-Sorry about the possum attack sounds like a trap is the way to go!

Bairo-thx for explaining all of that to me! I will be picking that up next time I'm @ the co-op.

Well I blocked off both nest boxes last night but Scruggs managed to knock the piece of wood down & nest on it! I am going tomtrynto find a way to wedge it in a little better & see what happens. I know they are still getting settled in, so I havent tried to hold them yet....but I hope they'll get more comfortable with us in a few wks. My dog banjo hasnt bothered the chickens too much which makes me relieved! I was worried he would constantly bark at them!

...that should read going to try. iPad won't let me edit
hmm.png
Thats ok, I think we all talk "typo" and "clucky"

Anyone going to the newport tsc animal swap saturday? It say on craigslist theres no cost to set up. I have a few roos and some other stuff that I will probably take if I have time.

The 4th Saturday (June 23rd) at noon works for us as well.

We want to second the previous motions for
  1. Black Bottomed Cupcakes
    droolin.gif
  2. Smoked Turkey
    droolin.gif

Put us down for pork barbecue. I have not made that in a while.
The 23rd, count Joy and me in.

I'll see if I can find a turkey and have it a fitting funeral pyial on the back porch.

Here in Washington County, we still observe the proper rituals of sending a bird to Vahalla.

librarychicken,
I use the deep litter method, I put a sprinkling of sevin dust down under shavings racking everything over when I add new shavings (to the existing ones) once a week, along with a sprinkle on top of sweetPDZ stall freshener. I throw a handful of scratch/ black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) on top each morning and my girls turn everything over. I have a poop deck 3 inches deep, with the roost running down the center of, that I have a bag of sweet PDZ on that I scoop the poo out of every morning. Every day I spent 5 minutes refilling water/ feed/turning on the fan and scoop detail. Once a week I, clean and sanitize the feeders, waterier, scrape the roosts, remove/replace the nest shavings, pull back and rake over the shavings-remove anything wet, and PDZ if needed, check over everything for dug-in to places or minor repairs -takes 30 minutes tops--not including dry time on the feeder. I have 2 metal tube feeders, so I clean/sanitize one allow it to dry in the sunshine, and take the one from the week before to refill. I found the design for the poop deck the day before my DH was building the roost, thespoiledchicken had posted amazing picture and info under the thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621363/poop-board-convert-warning-graphic-gross-poop-pictures. I knew about sweetPDZ because I use it for my donkey--the ammonia gas is broken down instantly, and does no harm to chickens or composting and I have No chicken manure smell. I seriously thought about using builder's sand, but I can't take the dust. This winter I probably use leaves instead of just pine shavings.
Totally cool pic Bairo!!

Last edited:
Ok was waiting til I knew for sure now got 2 broody hens 1 in each coop. 18 eggs total end of the month see what we get.This will be 1st broody hatch. :) I will chip in for pavillion rental so far any of the dates look good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom