Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everybody for the help. He if it is a he is just so different from the other roos. I think he may be a late bloomer or a runt. He/she does have a head just like my hen EE. I don't know I guess in about 6 weeks or so if I see an egg I will know. Also, when do roosters start to crow and mate? Also, when is the normal age to put them in the freezer? I have some Delawares and Lavender orps that are getting pretty huge. I have like 17 roosters out of my 30 chickens. Its about time to thin the herd. Sorry for all the questions. I had chickens as a kid, but when I was young I didn't pay attention to all of this stuff.

Thanks everybody for the help. He if it is a he is just so different from the other roos. I think he may be a late bloomer or a runt. He/she does have a head just like my hen EE. I don't know I guess in about 6 weeks or so if I see an egg I will know. Also, when do roosters start to crow and mate? Also, when is the normal age to put them in the freezer? I have some Delawares and Lavender orps that are getting pretty huge. I have like 17 roosters out of my 30 chickens. Its about time to thin the herd. Sorry for all the questions. I had chickens as a kid, but when I was young I didn't pay attention to all of this stuff.
It's comb is dark. I'm thinking boy. Do you have a picture of it standing up? Boys always carry themselves taller, tail erect and head up. Look for pointed feathers around the neck and base of tail =boy. As for crowing Some of my EE's started crowing at 10 weeks. Some take longer. When you hear an awful sound and aren't sure what it is. you know it's a boy. I do have an EE hen who has always had a dark comb. But she was uniformed in color=girl trait. Boy EE's tend to have scattered patterns. If you see any red/brown patches on the wings =boy. I love my EE's but they can be hard to sex with the solid or muted colors. Like my blue ones. I can't go by color. You just have to look at the way they stand and if you see them fight others that's a good sign. good luck.

Blue is a 14 month old hen. she has a dark comb and face.

Blue with her hatch mates. Se how she is uniformed in color. The boys are scattered colors.
They where 12 weeks old. The boys didn't have dark combs. But darker than her.

Besides the white rooster. Only one is a boy. Tail erect, thicker legs, darker comb and patchy color.

Yes, its suppose to be blue nothing else. I'm thinking self-blue they're almost white! I really like the frizzles, I may just grow them all out and keep one of the roosters and sale the rest at a show or something.
I don't have a lot of experience with EE's, so take it this with a grain of salt, but I'm thinking cockerel, too. It's comb is small but it is way redder than my Ameraucana girls that are close to the same age. I think white is more common with males than with female EE's, too. Have you thought of posting in the EE thread? There are some very experienced people there, too.

Stang, that little cockerel is so cute. He looks splash, but that's not possible, is it? You have black over splash, right? My kids have been begging me for a frizzle.

I need to find a good home for the Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. He's my avatar right now and is just starting to get his adult feathers. They are coming in blue with mahogany lacing and it is beautiful.

Also, when is the normal age to put them in the freezer? I have some Delawares and Lavender orps that are getting pretty huge. I have like 17 roosters out of my 30 chickens. Its about time to thin the herd.

Greatly depends on the breed. Some of that size you see is feathers...lol you might be surprised how much smaller they are dressed out. 16-20 weeks is probably a good average though for non meat breeds. If I am in no hurry and dont need the room, I'll just do it when the roosters start wanting to fight real bad. Of course the longer you wait, the tougher the meat is. (slow cooker, slow stew pot, or dog food) usually for anything over about 20 weeks

I wish I had built our coop/run bigger! I really want to add more chickens :) i think we can easily make the run longer and the coop is big enough for 4-6 birds. I really wanted to get a silkie at the Newport show but needed a hen. Anybody?

Stang-the frizzle is adorable. Too bad no Roos since I live in the city!

On sat & yesterday I didn't get an egg from my red. I know it's normal for them to skip laying every so often but I didn't know if it is something I should keep an eye on? When I cleaned out the coop yesterday I did see egg shell in the coop? Expert opinions?

I finally got the nipple attachment to make our waterer! I'm really excited about getting it in the coop...have looked at a few diff setups on here but not sure which direction to go yet!

I am still having a hard time w my dog around the run...I think the issue is that he sees/smells the treats I give the girls (bananas, etc) and wants them :/

I'm also having trouble with my dogs. My golden will eat anything but a mint tic tac--surprisingly his is not the problem- I tell him to stop at the barn door and that's that. But the corgi is a terror around the chickens, she made it into the coop again Sunday. By the time I capture her the coop was a mess, and as I carried her out one of my black orpingtons, who escaped into the main barn, came though the coop door as I headed out with Zoe~, she fussed and cussed the whole way back in. She looked like a lady holding up her skirts and giving Zoe` a piece of her mind. Any Ideas on how to get Zoe` less interested in the chickens? I'm adding a inside lock to the barn door so she can't get inside again. and she can't get into the pasture, and the donkey will try to kill her if she does. But--I would like her to be less reactive, it's like living with a bomb.

I'm also having trouble with my dogs. My golden will eat anything but a mint tic tac--surprisingly his is not the problem- I tell him to stop at the barn door and that's that. But the corgi is a terror around the chickens, she made it into the coop again Sunday. By the time I capture her the coop was a mess, and as I carried her out one of my black orpingtons, who escaped into the main barn, came though the coop door as I headed out with Zoe~, she fussed and cussed the whole way back in. She looked like a lady holding up her skirts and giving Zoe` a piece of her mind. Any Ideas on how to get Zoe` less interested in the chickens? I'm adding a inside lock to the barn door so she can't get inside again. and she can't get into the pasture, and the donkey will try to kill her if she does. But--I would like her to be less reactive, it's like living with a bomb.
I might get flack for this, but have you thought of using a remote control correction collar? It's one of the tools I would use if you don't leave a dog on leash, you have to make sure to use one for yard training, it's what hunters use for field training sometimes. I would get one with several correction levels, slowly have to work up til you know which level stops thought, and which one will work for continued bad behavior. Otherwise, you have many weeks of training leave it, especially if they are "deaf" to commands when around the chickens. Also, could teach a recall command.

to AMENFARM
With my experience, unfortunately, if they get the taste of chicken there is pretty much nothing you can do about it. I have 2 that I have to keep cooped up due to their chicken obsession. We tried everything and still all they want to do is attack our chickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom