Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they like Australian Shepherds? I always wanted one of those until I saw how much energy I would have to give them or they would get into trouble. One of our friends has two, and he says the male plays a game called "let me see how I can get out of the kennel and show up at your door step and freak you out."

He's cute, and I like the name sky.

Nope not like Australian shepherds. These are the foundation breed for border collies and regular collies. They herd, hunt and guard/nuture. Some do have bob tail like Aussies but the merle color is a DQ in this breed. It is not an AKC breed. It has its own club and registery to keep the show problems out of it since it is a true all around working farm dog. There size is 20 to 23 weight ranges from 40 to 70. These dogs act are your right hand helping where needed with livestock. They herd with a loose eye not the border collie stare. They also adjust herding style to fit the situation be it heading, gathering, heeling ect. They are real good at hunting varments of all type even treeing them with some lines like Sky's. They guardian ability is dual in that it includes the mothering/nurturing plus the guard/ protection drives. The mothering comes in the form most time checking on baby animals when they are born and helping clean them and watch over them. You would have to read all the stories written by farm owners to truely understand how these dogs work on a farm. For those interested I can point you too the yahoo groups that are from the farmers who own and work this breed daily.

For us here and why I chose this breed. I lock up my animals at night so a LGD is not needed for night guard. I needed a hunter and guardian like our last dog. She really took care of our varmints and kept dogs at bay plus bear and hawks. Since we are getting goats and I will also free range them I needed a herder too. So here I get one dog instead of three dogs that specialize. I have already seen in our pup her guard instinct and her hunting drive. One with the chickens in keeping them from us while sitting on thee ground outside, should stood between us and them and one woof told them far enough. Her hunting was with a big bad moth :) in the house.

If any wish to read more on this breed please here is the link to the breed club. http://www.englishshepherd.org/

Well, I did it. I broke down and ordered my chicken nipples and a bit because I know I can't find my bits ever... just rather get the one I need so I'm off and running when it arrives.

I didn't get to butcher earlier this week afterall. So the roos got a extension but my brother who helps me out will be coming over tomorrow. Soon we'll find out about the Sulmtaler's flavor. I think I'll wait a bit longer on that Barred Rock from XW.... **** thing is too nice. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't just find a SQ hen or two.

AAAAHHHHH I get so attached to them. I got to go watch some horrible factory farm videos so I can remember why it's better to butcher your own.

Well, I did it. I broke down and ordered my chicken nipples and a bit because I know I can't find my bits ever... just rather get the one I need so I'm off and running when it arrives.

I didn't get to butcher earlier this week afterall. So the roos got a extension but my brother who helps me out will be coming over tomorrow. Soon we'll find out about the Sulmtaler's flavor. I think I'll wait a bit longer on that Barred Rock from XW.... **** thing is too nice. Starting to wonder if I shouldn't just find a SQ hen or two.

AAAAHHHHH I get so attached to them. I got to go watch some horrible factory farm videos so I can remember why it's better to butcher your own.

ETA: I didn't even realize I cussed until I re-read what I wrote! LMAO! I'm gonna get a ruler over my hand!

stang....tell terry what happened.. LOL

I have chicks coming out my rear right now
eeewwwww,,,,that must really hurt!
ep.gif
lau.gif

Our new farm dog. 7 1/2 weeks old English Shepherd. Registered name Blue Moon's Autumn Sky of Green Mountain. Call name Sky.

What a beauty. We considered one last time we got a new pup but dh won out so we ended up with an American Bulldog. I guess a guy has to have a "man's" dog...maybe I will win next time. I am glad they are not recognized by AKC (if I remember right). IMHO AKC and popularity seems to be the downfall of many once great breeds. I have had many great dogs that I will most likely never own again: Golden Retriever, Australian Shepherd, Great Dane, and GSD to name a few.

Please post pics as Sky grows. I would love to see them. Correct me if I am wrong but are they one of the herding breeds you have to watch carefully when administering HW meds?

Last edited:
Does anyone on here sell chicken or know of where you can get them processed (I don't know if I could have it done to mine remember they have names). I very rarely buy chicken at the store because I have a thing about chicken breasts that are the size of turkey breasts. I have not researched much but it just seems wrong.

I have not had any lights on this week (I think since Sat or Sunday). I knew they were fine since it was so warm but next week its suppose to drop fairly low and didn't know if they would need heat then? I think they are probably heating up in the nest box at night.

Bless their poor dumb hearts. They know how to boil out in the mornings when I open the door but at night they still haven't figured out how to get back in.
roll.png
So I end up putting them in the coop.
There are more than a few things to consider. Such as if they wind is blowing cold, it's damp...things like that. If they are not feathered out completely they will so their usual huddling to keep warm. The only downside of this, and I just experienced it twice..is if you have one that is a bit smaller it can get caught on the bottom and the others smother it without knowing. So..as a result I go ahead and put a little bit of heat in. But to be honest with the brooder of Barios you would not have to worry about that. I use a 40 watt bulb and it gives out enough heat buy not too much. I am one to typically get them off a heat lamp by the time they are 6-8 weeks. After my hatch-lings fluff out they go in the house brooder which stays around 80-85 degrees with a 100 watt bulb. So...seems I took the long way around stating that it depends a lot on your environment and conditions. Like Stang said you can usually tell if you are too cold or too hot by watching how they act. I truly do not think there is a right or wrong in how we raise our babies..we have to see what works best because we all have different factors..It is just the new "Chickie Mother" syndrome we all go thru when we first start+
!. OH...and you can usually tell the sex of D'Uccles around week 4-5. I think yours is almost 2 weeks old. Will double check my chicken bible to make sure.

@Stang..You tough love???? You are one of the gentlest people I know.
hugs.gif
I carried a chick around in my bra part of the day yesterday. Oh I have 2 chickens for you to look at and see if you can tel their sex. I change my mind on a daily basis of what they are.

What a beauty. We considered one last time we got a new pup but dh won out so we ended up with an American Bulldog. I guess a guy has to have a "man's" dog...maybe I will win next time. I am glad they are not recognized by AKC (if I remember right). IMHO AKC and popularity seems to be the downfall of many once great breeds. I have had many great dogs that I will most likely never own again: Golden Retriever, Australian Shepherd, Great Dane, and GSD to name a few.

Please post pics as Sky grows. I would love to see them. Correct me if I am wrong but are they one of the herding breeds you have to watch carefully when administering HW meds?
I agree with you there... and the same goes for chickens at times. Whatever is popular gets put down as "standard" and it really can take from a breed. Look at a true German Boxer and a AKC Champion American Boxer.... two different dogs, if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom