Eastern Washington

Someone on byc made a 2x4 frame, put tight wire over it then planted the grass seed underneath it, the grass will grow up through the wire, but the chickens can't get to the roots, so it can keep growing. She had several of these in her run, they worked great. i'm going to try it this year.

Ooh, great idea! I think I'll try that! Thanks!

Getting super sick of the wind here! It threw off the 2 oak pallets from my goose/duck shelter roof that was holding down plastic (which was also stapled down) over straw. So much for that idea! Gladly, no one was squashed! Our weather people ALWAYS get it right about the wind coming but seem to never know when it will stop!
Wouldn't it be nice if they could. I know my Christmas tree would appreciate not being tipped in the middle of the night, and left on its side it morning. My wind is really screwy, it goes north across my front door, wraps around the bedrooms and then heads south down the back of the complex. I can't have any hanging plants because of the wind, which really limits my growing space. The wind knocked my tomato bushes over last summer too during one of the storms, we lost a lot of tomatoes that day because the yard crew came as I found it knocked over; they just run everything over, including the huge pumpkin vine that escaped by 5 inches from its little fence, that only yielded 4 pumpkins thanks in part to the pruning it got every week from them. I just can't wait till I can get a house, hopefully this will be my last growing season in this place. Then I can start my massive garden, chicken coop and a retirement bunny hutch with a mini yard attached.

Rustyhen, what a great idea! I am definitely doing that this summer! The girls will love having some fresh greens (in addition to my kitchen scraps). That plus the chicken tractor should keep everyone happy :)

Blowing them is easy -- you just cut a small hole (in the goose eggs...a pin prick in duck or chicken eggs) in the big end and scramble the contents, then let them drip out, then rinse the inside. There's instructions online for various ways :) I just prefer to buy pre blown eggs because a rotten goose egg in the mail is a NASTY surprise. 

I saw you were looking for eggs so I checked around sadly the lady that had geese in Toppenish no longer has them. I did find ostrich eggs that were blown. I think 25$ each was a bit high. Besides the shells hadn't been cleaned very well and had that egg set too long smell.

@ Vickis Girls The first egg is always the best one!
D.gif

@ClickerChick I'm excited for you I always wanted a couple of these too.
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks RustyHen. For some reason I think I might feel dirty eating this first little egg, so I'm going to try to blow it out and decorate it. It's the most exciting thing to happen to me in a long time, and I can't wait to go check for another today. I only have three pullets, so might be awhile before I get another.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom