Easy! 98% way to sex chicks.

lau.gif

how true

big_smile.png
well we did try sex vent technique on 4 of our 14 after reading about it. Now we know that we definitely have 3 hens and 1 very troubled rooster (he still gives us suspicious looks when we are watching them).
Ofcourse didn't feel like tormenting the rest so we decided to wait for any extra crowing down the road. The chicks are 5 weeks now and I think we have atleast 5 boys total. They like to play fight everbody and are showing more cockerel traits everyday.

My favorite way is to just watch them. When in the brooder by the second day the boys start standing tall and telling all. I like watching them grow. The boys will strut their stuff and girls will pay them no mind. By the time they arent growing much, well the girls are laying eggs and those boys have been crowing for weeks.

I'll be the guinea pig on this. I have 4 eggs in the incubator due to hatch Thanksgiving Day. I will try this method and post my finding then again as they get older. I know no method is 100% but if there are ways to figure with some certainty I say we try it. I do know that my hubby has named 2 of my chickens. He has a habit of giving them boys names and so far the ones he named have been roos. I told him he cant name anymore unless it is a girls name
big_smile.png

I will impart to you how I do my chick sexing. Most of the time I wait until they either crow or lay an egg.

Really just kidding. They usually are pretty mature before I can really tell though, I'm still working on a way to tell.

I'm gonna throw my two cents in this. This old Mexican guy showed me his sure fired method. On the two wee ones I swiped from a momma hen it was 100% accurate. When they are new borns grasp the beak and lift them off the ground. If they go limp immediately and stay that way its a girl. If they flap and fight its a boy.
I have 14 eggs in the bator now, and when they do hatch I am going to try this method again and then record my findings to see how accurate it really is.

I hope I do not offend anyone with this unorthodox method, I do try to be as gentle as I can and it is maybe 1-3 seconds that you do hold them off the ground. I personnally would NEVER do this to a chick like over a week old. There is too much awareness by then.

Back
Top Bottom