Easy designs for a run?

SunnyDayz

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Sunny FL
I need to build a run and I'm quite hammer/nail challenged, lol.
Where can I find easy run ideas, or perhaps something prefab that would work? We have 4 chickens, their coop is 8x4 and they have been free ranging, until earlier this week when a bobcat came into our yard during the day and swiped one.
sad.png

build two matching squares of wood, connect with posts in the corners. wrap with wire. You can make it 2ft or 3ft tall and use 4ft hardware cloth wrapped around, stapled on the inside and then the extra wire comes out the bottom as an apron to prevent digging. Cover with some chicken wire or hardware cloth. Use a lot of the longest staples you can. For extra security, hammer 1" pieces of wood around where the wire is stapled. Cut a hole in one side and fasten securely to a pop door in your coop. Think like an animal and make sure there are no weak spots that can be bent back for access.

Voila!

I'm sorry for your loss. It's always hard to loose a chicken.

Also, dog kennels work. If you get the ones that come as panels, you can expand, as you can afford it. Plus, they are really easy to set up. Most people line the bottom portion with a smaller wire, like hardware cloth, to keep chicken heads in and predator paws out. If you bend the added wire out onto the ground as an apron, it will also prevent digging predators from getting in.

The dog kennel idea is the best one for your situation, with bobcats to deal with. Good strong chainlink, wrapped on the bottom with some mesh with smaller openings, and you don't have to nail a single board.

Thanks for the ideas! I like the dog kennel idea, I think we'll do that.
As for the bobcat, she is here to stay
roll.png
her kittens are in the woods just beyond our yard. I could here them crying all afternoon today.
I'm going to call FL fish and Wildlife tomorrow and see what they have to say though.

I use a few different dog kennels we have found on Craigs List for sale.
Make sure to put a support of some sort across the middle and put wire across it and you can curve and secure it at the corners well. This is my square cornered one. I now have 3 cats in it instead of chickens and they can't get out of it like my rounded corner ones. It is mostly the door that can give you fits about being secure but mine kept out raccoons and foxes with the square corners. Easy to move for fresh ground.

9332_snow_2-10_barnie_pen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom