Easy DIY Auto Chicken Waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jenaferlm, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Jenaferlm

Jenaferlm New Egg

Jun 17, 2010
    I love DIY projects and was more than excited to tackle my latest one. I wanted to make a water system for my chickens that would basically take relying on me out of the equation.

[​IMG]
    This system keeps water super clean and refills as needed. In all, I spent about 45$ on this project and it was really easy.
    [​IMG]

The bucket is connected to a low flow adapter to the garden hose, reducing the psi. Inside the bucket is a float flow regulator- like the kind in toilets; when the float drops, more water is added until it rises again.
    [​IMG]

The pcv piping holds an additional 2 gallons of water and includes an air vent and overflow as well as two screw off ends for easy cleaning and debris removal.

Super satisfying project and no sooner did I put it into the coop, the chickens figured it right out.

Check out the pics and tutorial on my blog on the link below

http://cagefreemonkeys.blogspot.com/2010/06/chicken-auto-watering-system.html

1 person likes this.
  2. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Wow!! I call that a grand entry to BYC!

Welcome and love the waterer.

3. Jenaferlm

Jenaferlm New Egg

Jun 17, 2010
    Thanks!![​IMG]

4. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    That is nice! I wish I had a spigot near my coop so I could set mine up like that. Make sure you check for cleanliness periodically though. I used a silver Lowe's bucket and there was mold in it after 2 weeks, even with ACV in the water.

5. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    love this setup!! good job

6. jpfenimore

jpfenimore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    La Honda, California
    Thank you for this post. I am going to give it a try and will let you know how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by