Easy, humane, slaughter methods

I use a brand new utility knife blade. Once the bird is dead, I take off the head with loppers (the tree trimming kind that can cut branches of about 1 1/2 inches diameter). Easier for me that way. I am still where I make a mess when I butcher, but the kill is easy and neat.

Thinking I had to have the perfect set up like potatoesgonna describes is what kept me from processing for a very long time.

One day I decided I cannot wait for hubby to build a shelter to house a table and blah blah. I use a folding lifetime plastic table, elevated on 2 x 4's to make it a more comfortable height for standing. The bleach jug and a knife along with my Kitchen trash can and a couple paper towels. Also a cutting board and a pan to carry the bird inside in. This is when we are skinning which we decided as first timers would be easier (less gross) to do.

We only withhold food over night, which isn't really withholding since they don't eat then anyways. It's supposed to help empty the crop and intestines. We have cut an intestine, popped a bile duct, ruined a little meat and moved forward with experience being the mother of all teachers.

I think the broom stick is a good choice for first timers who are worried. You will likely need to rest the meat a few day before consumption in order let rigor pass. Doing only one or a few birds at a time I just air chill them (covered) in my fridge. And they last fresh for a DISTURBING amount of time compared to store bought!

I am considering trying a box cutter/utility blade instead of the knife.

In all of my research, I have decided cones are the best way for me personally. I like that they quickly lose consciousness and you can get most of the blood drained because the heart beats longer than if you just remove the head. I also like that they die calmly and the cone holds their wings close to their body to lessen the risk of bruising the meat. My personal plan is to withhold food for 18-24 hours also, to keep everything cleaner during processing. I have killing cones, a camp stove with a stock pot for scalding, a plucker (yardbird), and coolers for keeping the birds cold. I have a fillet table for evisceration and butchering, which is convenient because there's a hole I can put a trash bucket under for everything. I also have shrink wrap bags to store them in and plenty of freezer space. I am thinking I'll likely process the 5 Cornish crosses I have in about 3-4 weeks (when they're about 8 lbs live weight), and I'll update with my experience when I've actually carried it out.
I look forward to hearing how it goes!

I didn’t use a kill cone, but along the same lines. I strung up a rope between two trees & had a couple lengths of twine with slip knots in them. I hung the birds by their feet & slit their throat, letting them bleed out into a bucket. This spring was our first batch of meat birds. This method worked very well for us, & they really didn’t flap around much.

Like others have said, make sure your knife is very sharp. And it does take more pressure than you’d think, even with a sharp knife.

Back
Top Bottom