1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easy Turning w/out an Auto Turner...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by UrbanMama, Jan 8, 2009.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Redhen and I went in on a couple of hundred Texas A & M quail eggs (turned out to be a few hundred! [​IMG] ) And I've been trying to show her how you can hand turn...w/out turning each egg by hand. I didn't know if the info could be of use to others...so I decided to post it here...

Line the bottom of your bator with non-skid shelf liner and then put your eggs into cartons.

Here's mine...

[​IMG]

Notice the sponges...instead of putting water in the bottom wells of the bator, I use sponges to add the necessary humidity (and just re-moisten them as needed)

Now just prop one end of the bator up on a brick....

[​IMG]

And a few hours later, switch the brick to the other side of the bator. (I also put a strip of non-skid shelf liner under each side of my bator to make sure the side w/out the brick doesn't slide)

There you have it folks...easy turning w/out the auto turners! (My goodness, could you imagine hand turning all those eggs? [​IMG] )

2. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    good idea [​IMG]

3. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Thats just darn right nifty.lol Great idea makes it much simpler wish I had thought of that.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Smart! Smart! I love it! My bator is cooped up in a shelf so i cant do that but when i finanlly have more room that's a wonderful idea! [​IMG]

purty eggies btw!

5. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    This works real well. I have done it before when I had a lot of eggs [​IMG]

6. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Wow! That's so simple! I feel like a real dummy for thinking I just HAD to have an auto turner. [​IMG]

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    that is pure genius. simplistic, time and money saving! thanks for sharing something very useful!

8. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

How ironic... not 10 mins ago I pulled out the Hova-Bator circulated air model we've not used yet. I was reading instructions and saw, ""be sure no direct sunlight strikes the incubator and that it sets level."

Not sure if that effects the performance of the one we have, or if that is just put in there to cover their ends.

If it doesn't impact the incubator performance, then this sounds like a great idea!

9. kick'n chick'n

kick'n chick'n Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    tennessee
    you need to keep them level when you have water in the bottom wells. since she is using sponges water wont leak out of the over flow hole in the bottom of bator. performance wont be hinder if angled.[​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ...[​IMG]..i may die during this!....LOL..my first hatch and i have over 100 eggs!...[​IMG]....ooh well..this will be a learnig experience for sure!....[​IMG]....i hope at least 1 makes it...[​IMG]....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by