Easy way to feed Yogurt

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
So I was reading about yogurt in the health section, and I've noticed my hen is a little sniffly. It didn't mention anywhere how to give them yogurt, and one member was saying the chicken showed no interest in eating yogurt.

I scrambled an egg, chopped up the shell, and took some kernals from uncooked sweet corn, put it all on a plate. Then, took plain white organic yogurt, and stirred it in, so that everything was covered in yogurt. If they wanted a "treat" it came with yogurt.

They ate it really well! I figured the Roo should have some too, since the hen seems to only eat what he points out to her anyways. But they didn't mind the yogurt at all, though weren't going out of their way to eat "just" yogurt.

Thanks, i was wondering about that. Couldnt figure out how to give them yogurt without them knocking it over and getting it everywhere.

My chickens wont eat anything if it has yogurt on it or in it. I was mixing it with their feed and the days the feed was mixed with yogurt it went nearly untouched. Everybody keeps talking about chickens eating virtually anything but I must have the fussiest dang birds on the planet.

yogurt helps with digestion and runny poo, not sure about sniffels! I put it in a bowl and sprinkle feed on top. I also use plain yogurt!

Last edited:
I make a gallon of yogurt at a time for less than two dollars using MissPrissy's yogurt recipe.
ALL of my chickens love it. About once a week, I just put some in all of their special "treat" bowls, and they wolf it down in no time flat.

Last edited:
I give ours vanilla flavored, and any berry flavored yogurt. They love it! I just started mixing crumbles with it, about a cup at a time, with enough yogurt to make it sloppy. They all stand right there 'til it's gone!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Don't feel to bad. Mine what eat the scratch I bought. There is nothing wrong with it. No Bugs or anything and the Purina brand. They may pick on the corn a little but not that much. So I've been feeding the scratch to the wild birds that come around. And as far as Yogurt is concern, forget it. You would think I was trying to poisin them. They run for the hills if I bring some out to them.

And you think yours are fussy!
D.gif

Last edited:
I mix oats in with yogurt to feed, it makes it nice and thick and they love it.

I've been making yogurt in the crockpot and it is cheap, sooo easy, and so good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom