eat a chicken killed by a dog?

I am wondering about the same situation. I have lost my 3 youngest, healthiest chickens this morning... My fault, let the coop open last night, and a fox got into the coop. My dog woke me up, I saw the fox take off, and found three of my girls, still warm, on the ground. So now I am wondering - should I toss them over the fence so the fox can eat them, or not do that so the fox doesn't come back for more... As far as I can tell, the chickens necks have been snapped, not much damage done. Since we raised them, should we eat them? We usually don't eat our chickens, keep them for pets and eggs, but we did make soup out of our rooster when we realized we had one.. Skinny thing, was good in a soup though. What a mess! Feeling guilty that I didn't protect my flock... The rest of the birds are not coming out of the coop this morning, sitting quiet, traumatized. I am, too...

I am wondering about the same situation. I have lost my 3 youngest, healthiest chickens this morning... My fault, let the coop open last night, and a fox got into the coop. My dog woke me up, I saw the fox take off, and found three of my girls, still warm, on the ground. So now I am wondering - should I toss them over the fence so the fox can eat them, or not do that so the fox doesn't come back for more... As far as I can tell, the chickens necks have been snapped, not much damage done. Since we raised them, should we eat them? We usually don't eat our chickens, keep them for pets and eggs, but we did make soup out of our rooster when we realized we had one.. Skinny thing, was good in a soup though. What a mess! Feeling guilty that I didn't protect my flock... The rest of the birds are not coming out of the coop this morning, sitting quiet, traumatized. I am, too...
I would not eat the chickens killed by a fox.... you have no idea what condition that fox is in....it could be carrying a disease even rabies. I would dispose of the chickens where critters can't get them. The fox already knows where the chickens are.....but that doesn't mean some other fox or critter would find an easy meal and come back again for more at a later time.

Back
Top Bottom