Eat, sleep and no poop

Lethonomian

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2019
I know there are several other threads regarding these issues but I just need some support for this specific case.
I have a week old chick my hen hatched out, I'm unsure of the breed bc my green wasn't sitting on her own eggs but for sure the rooster is ameracauna. She was born with curly toes and spraddle legged so I intervened and within a week, we got that taken care of and she's walking wonderfully. However, since mama hen wouldn't take her back and she and the other chick showed aggression, I went and got 3 other chicks to raise her with. The other chicks are about one week younger than her but already bigger than she is. She eats a lot, drinks, scratches, runs around, peeps and does all the normal activities they do but two days ago, started having problems pooping. She peeps really loudly,squats and you can see her rear pushing out real far. I see poop start to come out but she can't get it all the way out and it goes back in. Now, her rear stays swollen out and I've had to manually gently squeeze the vent so the poop can come all the way out. The vent does go back to almost normal size once I squeeze out the poop. I've tried warm baths, warm compresses, feeding her Olive oil, molasses and trying to get her to manually drink more. I've also tried putting a small amount of warm water in her vent with a syringe. I've got the probiotic, vitamin & electrolyte mix in her water. I don't think she's drinking enough but even when I put it on her beak with a dropper she does not want it. I do see her drink occasionally but not as often as the others. I have another water container in there with a little bit of apple cider vinegar to see if that would encourage her to drink more.
Since her event is so swollen now, I went to the store and got hemorrhoid cream and have applied that in and around with a q-tip. I had also tried putting olive oil in and around her vent to help things along but no success. I noticed her do a couple of small poops earlier that had a little bit of watery consistency to them but she's back to being completely stopped up unless I help her. The poops are pretty dry and larger than the other chicks. Any suggestions? I'm returning to work tomorrow and won't be here to help her poop and I'm afraid of what will happen. About an hour ago I took all the dry food out of the brooder and f put in a shallow bowl with water and dropped food into that so the only thing they get is very wet food. I don't know if this will help but I'm running out of time. The other three are fine! Is she just doomed from the get go? I'm wondering if the crazy hot temperatures here in Tennessee have something to do with her issues right from hatching out. The mama hen was on 12 eggs and only 2 successfully hatched. There were others that died in the egg that look like they were completely developed but never hatched out. The other chick is perfect.

Others may have better advice, but I would give her a few drops of mineral oil in some feed to eat. Some also use molasses. Also make sure that she is drinking well, (offer frequent sips of water, add water to a small amount of feed,) since dehydration and having the brooder temperature too warm can cause constipation and pasty butt. What is the temperature in the warmest area? Do they have a cooler spot to get to? She might have some internal issue that is causing this or she may be a weak chick. I hope that you can save her.

I haven't tried mineral oil but I did try molasses but she barely got any. I think now get vent is so swollen she can't relieve herself. The warm areas are between 80&85 and she's sticking to those areas to rest. I feel like she needs to drink more hence me taking away the dry food and giving the wet option only. Even when I try with a dropper, she doesn't want to drink. She eats like crazy tho.

This is what it looks like after she pushes, you can see how big it is and it's full of poop but can't come out

Attachments

• 20190929_204231.jpg
    20190929_204231.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 10
Same here, until now. I have to go about every 20 minutes and get poop out because she's peeping and in pain. I'm hoping that taking away the dry food will make it so she has nothing solid to pass and the swelling can go down. I don't know how long it takes to process their food, been a couple of hours and she's still pooping solid.

Same here, until now. I have to go about every 20 minutes and get poop out because she's peeping and in pain. I'm hoping that taking away the dry food will make it so she has nothing solid to pass and the swelling can go down. I don't know how long it takes to process their food, been a couple of hours and she's still pooping solid.
something is definitely wrong and plugged up is a danger to the chick. I had better luck on time with a chick that didn't wanna drink really well, giving one drop of B complex liquid and D-Vi-Sol just inside tip of her beak, then just keeping at putting her beak to the water until she was drinking

Update: still giving wet food only and the painful screams have subsided but I've yet to witness her poop. She must have, her vent is still a bit swollen but not hard and reddened like yesterday. I'm going to stick with the wet food diet for another day to let swelling go down and then slowly integrate dry crumble to see if she can handle it. Now the new problem- always something with this chick!! Her face is wet from the wet food. All of the other chicks get it neatly and are fluffy and prestine but she's a mess. The other chicks have started pecking out the wet feathers by her ears. I have some no peck goo I can put on and will but what a horrible place to have to have that stuff!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom