Eating older chickens

Morrighann

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2018
Someone told me you can’t eat chickens that are more than 1-2 years old because they smell really bad and don’t taste good. So what’s the skinny on that? I have some 3 and 4 year old hens and some roosters I’d like to butcher.

I'll suggest they may be talking about a "gamey" taste and smell. As an intact male (rooster, bull, deer, whatever) ages they build up a lot of flavor. Females also develop some flavor as they age but nothing like an intact male. Some people find this gamey flavor objectional, some of us like it. I think that is a big reason that an old rooster makes the best tasting chicken broth available.

I'll suggest they may be talking about a "gamey" taste and smell. As an intact male (rooster, bull, deer, whatever) ages they build up a lot of flavor. Females also develop some flavor as they age but nothing like an intact male. Some people find this gamey flavor objectional, some of us like it. I think that is a big reason that an old rooster makes the best tasting chicken broth available.
Good possibility....
...plus even young home grown chickens taste and chew way different that grocery birds.

I remember the first one I ate, CX from a neighbor, wasn't sure at all at first bite, got better as I ate the rest of the bird over a few days. Wasn't until I had a grocery bird again that I went.....Oooohhhh, that's soft and bland and 'watered down' flavor-wise.

Last edited:
Uhh, my response to that is: What?

I've heard of them being tough and chewy, but not smelling bad. I've butchered 2 year old birds and eaten them and they were fine. I've also butchered chickens that were housed with rabbits that smelled and tasted nasty. I think it has more to do with what they're eating than how old they are.

Back
Top Bottom