Eating out... PF Chang's

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
Boy, I went to PF Changs yesterday with some friends. They call themselves a Chinese Bistro right? I didn't think anything they had was Chinese food. All I can say is that their Cantonese Style Chow Fun is:

1 Not Cantonese
2 Dry
3 Not actually a Chow Fun type noodle, just some undercooked wide dry noodle that was hard.. (chow Fun should be soft and be able to drape over a chopstick and stick together just under the chopstick.
4 Flavored like Soy Sauce

I think I'll be sticking to real chinese food, real as in the resturants that you sit in and when you look around, 95% of the people are Asian, waiters speak two languages and the head chef is actually from the country the food is to represent. Asked the waiter if the head chef was Chinese... well he wasn't even asian... and nor were the other chefs. No wonder!

But I guess it must be good enough to fit the "American" palate to get good reviews and be really busy all year long!

I do give them props for being very nice, not charging me for my dish because I was unstatisfied with it, and having a nice american resturant atmosphere with asian themed decorations.

Remind me not to order a take a way......
lol.png

They sponsor a "Rock and Roll" marathon down here the 2nd Sunday in January each year.

We've heard that it's VERY expensive and not that good.

They were really expensive for what you got... 10 bucks for some dry noodles and a quarter cup of sliced beef with a few green onions on top. But maybe it's the kind of food that fits the American taste so they do well in that aspect. Or perhaps it's the name.
idunno.gif

Quote:
I think it is the name, like starbuck coffee, I swear it is tooooo expensive and speedway gasstation's coffee tests way better.
lol.png

Omran.

I don't know if I can do gas station coffee. I like my coffee, and bad coffee is no good! Seattle = caffine addiction. I like Big Foot Java's blend of coffee!

Quote:
I agree with you 100% I rarely get coffee from gasstation it was just an example, I am coffee addicted, and my coffee has to be homemdade and only the way I like it.

Omran

My favorite place in San Diego was Shogun.... loved it, the chef's cook at your table (or on it) and they didn't speak a word of english but seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as we did!

the lettuce wraps at PF Changs are very tasty, but I don't think that they are actually "chinese" food. I think the wraps are some sort of "California cuisine". I think thay are over priced too.

If I ever end up there again with friends, I'll be sure to try the lettuce wraps in hopes of something palateable.

I like mongolian grill type places. It's nice to be able to see your food being made. Of course, it's also fun to hang out in the back of family resturants too when they are frying up meals during off hours. They move FAST! So don't want to be there during meal hours, you'd get run over.

Crashing back into social life after a solid quarter stuffed in books is a real shocker.

Back
Top Bottom