Eating Snow

Can't you keep a few water jugs in the house near a wood stove or heater? I've seen your other posts about not wanting to carry water jugs. I carry 16 gallons a day, 8 in winter just so every single bird gets water. If you can't keep them hydrated they will be more likely to get frostbite especially with your temps.
If you've seen my other posts, you'll see that we are installing an automatic, heated waterer in the run.
Also, a "few" would be 6-8 jugs per day for how many birds we have.

If you've seen my other posts, you'll see that we are installing an automatic, heated waterer in the run.
Also, a "few" would be 6-8 jugs per day for how many birds we have.
I suppose it depends on how much work you’re willing to do. So you’re putting a heated waterer in the run for your chickens but your wondering if eating snow would be enough water for them because other farmers do it?
Your original post made it seem like you were planning on leaving them to eat snow for water.
Either way they only need a fraction of the water they would drink in warmer months.

I always supply fresh water. I have a large heated dog bowl and very long extension cord. Winter is hard enough, my girls enjoy their freshwater on a cold day.

I suppose it depends on how much work you’re willing to do. So you’re putting a heated waterer in the run for your chickens but your wondering if eating snow would be enough water for them because other farmers do it?
Your original post made it seem like you were planning on leaving them to eat snow for water.
Either way they only need a fraction of the water they would drink in warmer months.

Not at all - I thought this would be a helpful, informative post to start just incase people are considering to not provide water in the winter.

i have 3 coops. 1 has 25 birds the 2 others have 6 ea. 2 coops are near each other. one is behind the house. yes its sucks to lug water but nothing I've tried keeps water liquid for long at -30f. just part of keeping poultry in the north.

Back
Top Bottom