Eating the hen my dog killed

Didn't know you could eat if they dropped dead! We lost 2hens that way!

Kuntrygirl, bear with me on this question. You said your rooster dropped dead and you processed him. When you are cutting them open, are you looking at the heart, lungs, etc. to see if they look healthy? I had a hen die last year, but my gut told me something was wrong, so we didn't eat her. I would like to know what you look for.

Thanks,

Lisa :)

Didn't know you could eat if they dropped dead! We lost 2hens that way!
That one's a personal choice. I would not eat a bird that just dropped dead - not if I didn't know what killed it. A dog-killed chicken, yes, if I caught it right away and it wasn't too damaged. But not something that I don't know why it died.

No, I agree Bobbi-j, uncertain death is not a chicken we will eat. We had 2 roosters fight and one was hurt. We aren't even sure if we can eat the injured One. He healed but is deformed. His left shoulder was apparently separated and he can't fly, or run or mate. All he does is hang his head and eat

No, I agree Bobbi-j, uncertain death is not a chicken we will eat. We had 2 roosters fight and one was hurt. We aren't even sure if we can eat the injured One. He healed but is deformed. His left shoulder was apparently separated and he can't fly, or run or mate. All he does is hang his head and eat
I would think you could eat him as long as that shoulder isn't infected. I wouldn't eat it if the meat was discolored or had a funky odor. Poor guy...

No, he isn't infected. He is completely healed. We've never killed a chicken before but he will be our first. Decisions will be made then whether to save or dispose.

No, he isn't infected. He is completely healed. We've never killed a chicken before but he will be our first. Decisions will be made then whether to save or dispose.
That's the best time to make those decisions - when you can see the condition that the meat is in. We hunt, and have ended up with previously wounded ducks or pheasants. You will know if the meat is bad. Wishing you the best in your first time processing experience.

Back
Top Bottom