Eating to Nourish the Body

Its just before 7 am here, and I have a few things to do this morning. Once its all done, I will be back.

One thing I wanted to note was breakfast stuff.
Oats a good option, but, they need to be soaked overnight first.
One easy and very tasty way to do that, is to make baked oatmeal.
Recipe is a bit of a wing it
wink.png

Take 4-8 cups of oats, depending on pan size and put them in a glass bowl.
If you do not have raw milk products, mix a plain LIVE culture yogurt into the oats, just until they are wet.
Cover with a towel and leave overnight.
In the morning, mix in 2-6 eggs, 1/2-1 cup of honey, a good dash of cin. and berries or raisins.
Add a bit of milk or more yogurt if needed.
Bake until set.
Serve hot with milk, butter and honey.

I will note a recipe for making a good soaked granola later on.

Paula -- where are you finding the unhydrogenated lard? Are you making it?

Whenever we get a late summer or fall bear ( not a fish bear
sickbyc.gif
) I use that fat. The rest of the time, I have been working on rendering a huge amount of grassfed beef fat that we were given.
contact your local butchers/meat processors, and ask them about bulk grass fed beef fat purchasing.

Best solution though, is to go here, http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=711 and get a 5 gallon pail (usually comes frozen in quart sized tubs) for $99 with shipping at $7.99 flat rate, even to Alaska.​

PM,
First of all, keep in mind, that for the most part, traditional foods is about preperation.
Most of us deal with an 80/20 way of eating. 80% is the best and prepared the old fashioned way, while the other 20% allows for some junk (carefully chosen) and eatin gout as needed.

If you can't get raw milk, (do a search in www.realmilk.com and make inquiries) then search out organic pasturized only, avoiding homogenized like the plague. Talk to your local grocers about providing a better option.
Culture your dairy, by making yogurt and or kefir, to up its benefits.

Soaking, sprouting and souring grains can be doen with non organic.

Now, as to the price of things.
Have you seen Food Inc.?
There is a family that is featured in there, that rather then spend $5 on 3 pears, they went to the drive thru and spent more then that on a very toxic, non nourishing meal.
A meal that perpetuates the fathers diabetes, and the whole families weight and health.

Traditional foods is about true nutrient density in foods.
You actually eat less and absorb more if butter is served with veges, and other good fats are used in cooking.
Organ meats are inexpensive nad can be disguised easily.

Traditional foodies, have found that medical and dental issues drop anywhere from 75 - 90%.

The term organic is very subjective. It is used and abused on the commercial level.
I'll let you search that out, and come to your own balance on that, as to what you will purchase with that label, and what you will not.

Local is always better. Do not feel like you have to fear your local foods. Take the time to get to know your local farmers. Encourage them to grow the best, and then support them as you are able.

We shop at our local Sams and Costco, where we can buy organic bulk veges. Untill we are in a position to grow all our own, we make up the difference this way.
We buy all our grains, raw honey, coconut oil and sea salt from a local co-op (Azure) at astounding savings. Not only in bulk savings, but in driving savings.
For instance, I can pay nearly $3 a pound for Rye flour at my local grocery store, or I can get 50 pound sacks thru the co-op for .80 a pound.

I spread these things out. one month its flours, another its rice, and yet another for my honey (raw, 5 gallons for $120 ) and sea salt.

I absolutly LOVE www.cookingtf.com for these kinds of helps.
Kerryann teaches how to stock up on bulk foods at very extreme savings.

The trick in all of this, is writing down a plan that will take as much as a year to fully develop, and do one thing at a time.

On the cod liver oil, here are the things it does.
We take the fermented clo blend, that includes high vitamin butter oil.
The butter oil helps in absorption, and it also heals dental decay. It costs $45 for a six month supply for one adult. Much longer for a child. Think about how little that costs, as opposed to dental bills for cavities!
When taken in pregnancy, it allows the baby to develop to its full potential.
It tastes awful yes, but young children learn to take it well, and for those that are older, it can be squirted into size 00 capsules with one of those cheap catchup of mustard bottles that you can buy at WalMart. 3 the size amounts to one serving.

Chicken feed, see if you can buy bulk barley, oats and field peas at a local elevator, and make your own.
We use fishmeal to give them animal protein.

Last edited:
I am very excited to let you all know, that part of the Nourishing Taditions seminar is on Youtube!!!
Herer is number 1
I own all 5 hours, and loan it out and show it locally all the time.

There are several other sections on here, but its missing massive amounts.

Bet you cannot guess how old she is!!!!!
If you eat lots of saturated fats, you look very young
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
^Yup saw Food Inc and even the kids were like "That makes no sense!"

I'm going to work at it, but I'm not expecting 100% conversion overnight... bit by bit... get used to it... another bit... best for budget AND altering diet in my opinion... we'll see though.

PaulaJoAnne - Are you finding a good amount of organics through your local Sam's Club or is it mainly at Costco? My local Sam's seems to be hit and miss in the organics department. I can find frozen veggies at Sam's -- they are no GMO, but not organic. I did buy some yummy organic raspberries there yesterday, but that's about it. The nearest Costco is quite a distance and I hear they have much more organics than Sam's. Oh, how I wish there was a Costco nearby! On the up side there is a local green grocer -- some things are a bit pricey, though.

Quote:
Costco is WAY better, and well worth a monthly vist.
We are able to bypass that usually though, because we have a "mini costco/sams" here in the valley, called 3 Bears. They buy thru Costco or Sams (bids change provider every so often) and save us the hour and 20 minute trip to Anchorage.

We are working towards growing all of our stuff, and in fact never have to buy berries because we can pick blueberries, lingonberries and high bush cranberries everywhere we turn just about.
One summer, I picked 12 gallons of lingonberries! It was a peak year.

Back
Top Bottom