eating your pet open discussion

Chickens aren't pets. They're livestock. There's no reason not to be nice to them, but they are food sources. Cow farmers pet the cows, pig farmers pet the.....well maybe not, pigs bite. There's no reason not to give a chicken a good life before it eventually serves its purpose.

I disagree you are being nice by giving them food and water for a start and the moment you start petting the chicken it will become easier to kill

sorry my mistake misread but anyone who thinks that if you are going to kill a chicken you shouldn't be nice to it then my point above stands

Some places eat dog, are they not pets?

Seriously though, our chickens and ducks are no less pets like our dogs, each has a name, some respond to that name and all give great pleasure like any pet would!

Pet store doesn't sell chickens, livestock dealers don't sell pets.

The meat department at the grociery store isn't filled with a farmers pets.

Again, there's no reason to not be nice to them and give them a happy life before they serve their ultimate purpose, but ifmthe possibly of your fowl becoming table fodder disturbs you, then keeping livestock isn't for you.

Your geological location has no bearing, people eat whats available to them, where they are or starve, that's life.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

When in China, general tso that dog and eat up.

I disagree you are being nice by giving them food and water for a start and the moment you start petting the chicken it will become easier to kill

That would be considered providing basic care
hmm.png

I am confused about the last bit - are you saying it would be easier for the human to kill something it has bonded with by petting it or that the bird will be easier (physically/logistically) to handle in the kill process after being tamed by being accustomed to the petting?

Pet store doesn't sell chickens, livestock dealers don't sell pets.

The meat department at the grociery store isn't filled with a farmers pets.

Again, there's no reason to not be nice to them and give them a happy life before they serve their ultimate purpose, but ifmthe possibly of your fowl becoming table fodder disturbs you, then keeping livestock isn't for you.

Your geological location has no bearing, people eat whats available to them, where they are or starve, that's life.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

When in China, general tso that dog and eat up.

I think you are painting with rather broad strokes there (and I am a "pro eat it if you want to chicken keeper) - to blanket statement that anyone not open to eating their chicken shouldn't be keeping chickens is a bit extreme.

I think you are painting with rather broad strokes there (and I am a "pro eat it if you want to chicken keeper) - to blanket statement that anyone not open to eating their chicken shouldn't be keeping chickens is a bit extreme. 

Broad strokes are nice strokes, just an opinion.

Eventually the same hen that used to sleep on my shoulder, is going to stop producing eggs. At that point they become a burden. It had better have one hell of a personality if it doesn't meet the pot.

Random thought, do you think vegetarians cry when they harvest from their garden?

""""do you agree with eating your chickens?""""

We can't eat what we raise, even if it was a cow...But of course don't object as we eat 5+lbs of someone else's chickens a week! LOL

Why can't you eat what you raise, even if it is a cow? People raise steers and pigs for food a lot. I know my relatives do, that way they know what it is their eating. Their freezer is loaded with beef and pork they raised and slaughtered themselves. I can't do to local restrictions (I am within a township) I am limited to chickens. Otherwise I would keep a cow for milk, a steer calf for beef and sheep for wool and lamb meat, and raise a pig for pork, ducklings...

That would be considered providing basic care
hmm.png

I am confused about the last bit - are you saying it would be easier for the human to kill something it has bonded with by petting it or that the bird will be easier (physically/logistically) to handle in the kill process after being tamed by being accustomed to the petting?

what I mean is that if your chicken trusts you and you walk into the run to take it to your shed/slaughter house:) then it wont run away but will come to you so you can kill with kindness at least that is what I would expect I haven't slaughtered my chickens but they come to me when I don't have a strangler

Back
Top Bottom