eating your pet open discussion

Pet: a domestic or tamed animal or bird kept for companionship or pleasure and treated with care and affection.

That is the basic definition of the world pet. I don't have any ethical issues with eating my pets if that is the case (as I do take pleasure in owning chickens and would even if they served a secondary purpose, and I do care for them). Could i stomach it? Probably not. That doesn't make it wrong. I think to take it to an extreme and say anyone who doesn't just raise poultry for livestock with the intention of killing them is wrong. Different strokes for different folks. In many cultures they eat dogs or cats or horses. That doesn't make it wrong for me to refrain from ringing my poor hound's neck. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you have to. So if you don't want to eat your chickens, then don't, and if you do, there is no reason to feel bad about it.

Also there was a comment in one of the posts above that talked about livestock and pets being sold in different stores. I've never seen a pet store sell any (aside from maybe koi) outdoor pets. Pet stores cater to people that live in cities. As it is, chickens aren't a very common pet for urban areas (many people are under the impression they smell, are extremely loud, and will give you some sort of disease the second you look at them). So why would they stock a product that just won't move off of their shelves? That doesn't mean chickens can't be pets. They sell bunnies, some people eat bunnies. Does that mean, now that the species is sold in pet stores, that they're no longer fit to eat? Stores will sell what people in their area will buy. That doesn't necessarily define the product. My drug store sells cough medicine and bleach, but I don't guzzle Clorox like it is going out of style. When it comes down to it, chickens are animals and ANY tame or domesticated animal can be made into a pet.

I do, however, believe there is a difference between love and affection/care. The reason I didn't sell my horse to a slaughter house when he got arthritis is because I love him. Love is a more profound emotion and if you can kill and eat something, I don't think you really love it. Then again, who am I to try and define your definition of love?

Our morals surrounding animals are extremely convoluted. A while back I read a book by the title of Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat by Hal Herzog. The book has received mixed reviews but it is a real eye opener if you don't take it as seriously as religious text. I had a vegan friend at the time who was making me feel bad about eating meat and saying how could I love animals and consume them. I found this book on accident shortly after and I realized that our morals when it comes to animals are have been murky at best for many years. In the end, culture will decide a lot about how we feel about animals, but we personally have to make decisions on a lot of matters.

So I don't think it is wrong. Can I say, definitively, that it is? Of course not and no one has the right to make you feel bad if you don't share my opinion.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the intent of purchase, are you purchasing strictly for companionship or is their a dual purpose. My pets are bought for companionship (dogs, cats, rabbits, turtle, horse, fish), my chickens are bought to be enjoyed but mainly to nourish me, a lot has to do with the mindset. If I wanted rabbits for meat I would have a different mindset than my pet rabbits, I would enjoy them but know their main reason is for nourishing me. Same with cattle, pork, ducks etc.

Pet: [COLOR=222222]a domestic or tamed animal or bird kept for companionship or pleasure and treated with care and affection.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]That is the basic definition of the world pet. I don't have any ethical issues with eating my pets if that is the case (as I do take pleasure in owning chickens and would even if they served a secondary purpose, and I do care for them). Could i stomach it? Probably not. That doesn't make it wrong. I think to take it to an extreme and say anyone who doesn't just raise poultry for livestock with the intention of killing them is wrong. Different strokes for different folks. In many cultures they eat dogs or cats or horses. That doesn't make it wrong for me to refrain from ringing my poor hound's neck. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean you have to. So if you don't want to eat your chickens, then don't, and if you do, there is no reason to feel bad about it.[/COLOR]

Also there was a comment in one of the posts above that talked about livestock and pets being sold in different stores. I've never seen a pet store sell any (aside from maybe koi) outdoor pets. Pet stores cater to people that live in cities. As it is, chickens aren't a very common pet for urban areas (many people are under the impression they smell, are extremely loud, and will give you some sort of disease the second you look at them). So why would they stock a product that just won't move off of their shelves? That doesn't mean chickens can't be pets. They sell bunnies, some people eat bunnies. Does that mean, now that the species is sold in pet stores, that they're no longer fit to eat? Stores will sell what people in their area will buy. That doesn't necessarily define the product. My drug store sells cough medicine and bleach, but I don't guzzle Clorox like it is going out of style. When it comes down to it, chickens are animals and ANY tame or domesticated animal can be made into a pet. 

[COLOR=222222]I do, however, believe there is a difference between love and affection/care. The reason I didn't sell my horse to a slaughter house when he got arthritis is because I love him. Love is a more profound emotion and if you can kill and eat something, I don't think you really love it. Then again, who am I to try and define your definition of love?[/COLOR]
Well said! And may I add, I read a post from a fella that was taking his chick to bed with him at nite. He was being the Brodie...and I can tell you from personal experience that being momma can bring out intense and irrevocable emotions. I got snared by a baby kitten. My sister and niece still laugh and tell me she wrapped my heart around her paw from the first instant. She is my shadow and spends every waking moment a stones throw away and most sleeping moments by my side or in my lap. Do I love her? YES!! I have loved horses too. They really know how to steal your heart. Can a chicken do that? Well, absolutely. Can a chicken be a pet... Absolutely. Could a chicken get so close to me, a sworn carnivore who loves to eat chicken, that I couldn't slaughter it? Of course! I grieve for all the chickens I cull for food, it is not beyond me to get too attached to a particular chicken. It happens to the most stalwart farmers. A smart bird knows how to entrap her keeper!!

[COLOR=222222]Our morals surrounding animals are extremely convoluted. A while back I read a book by the title of Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat by [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Hal Herzog. The book has received mixed reviews but it is a real eye opener if you don't take it as seriously as religious text. I had a vegan friend at the time who was making me feel bad about eating meat and saying how could I love animals and consume them. I found this book on accident shortly after and I realized that our morals when it comes to animals are have been murky at best for many years. In the end, culture will decide a lot about how we feel about animals, but we personally have to make decisions on a lot of matters.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]So I don't think it is wrong. Can I say, definitively, that it is? Of course not and no one has the right to make you feel bad if you don't share my opinion.[/COLOR]

Well, that sucks! My beautiful post is gone! Anyway, what I basically said, is
1. Well Said!
2. Never under estimate the strength of maternal, paternal emotions. I read a post of a guy taking his chick into his bed. The little bird thought he was momma Broodie. Yes the guy fell hard for his chick!
3. The smart bird knows how to worm his or her way into their keepers heart. I have known stalwart farmers go soft and spare a special chicken, duck etc.
So yeah, livestock can be a pet, even when not intentional, and in cities that allow chickens, pets they are swiftly becoming, as loved and endeared as a cat or dog. The chicken diapers and harnesses should be a clue! They are becoming house pets. We all have different reasons for having chickens, I am sure I will on occasion meet a special bird who will be spared the soup pot. No one way is right or wrong. The only wrong way is cruelty, overcrowding, filthy habitat, and such.

Applying the emotion "love" to a pet is a bit over the top for me. I "love" my wife. I "love" my children. I don't "love" my German Shorthair Pointer. That's a little creepy to me.

Applying the emotion "love" to a pet is a bit over the top for me. I "love" my wife. I "love" my children. I don't "love" my German Shorthair Pointer. That's a little creepy to me.

I completely disagree I think love can mean many things you can "love" an item of clothing a person or a chicken even if the way you love those things is different you still love them in my opinion but then again some people haven't got the same bond with their chickens as I have :)

Back
Top Bottom