eBay Egg Etiquette

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
I had an auction for some hatching eggs end on the evening of Monday the 19th. The buyer paid promptly, so the package was shipped on the morning of Tuesday the 20th.

The buyer is getting concerned because the USPS tracking hasn't updated since the 20th. It shows the acceptance, it getting sent the main sorting facility in my area, then departing the sorting facility by the evening. I know the 'tracking' can be dodgy at best. Is there anything I can do or say to the buyer that might help ease their worries?

I tried calling the USPS, but that was pretty useless. They repeated my tracking information, then told me if I wanted the package there by a guaranteed time, I should have sent using express mail.

I've never had much of a problem with the USPS, either receiving or shipping hatching eggs. But they are rather time sensitive. I guarantee that they will arrive intact (no breaks, dents, cracks, etc.), but the longer they sit, the less viable they become. But shipping time is out of my control. I send out eggs that are only a couple of days old when they're shipped. Eggs laid on the day of shipping are sent as extras most of the time. This time, the person paid for 12 eggs, and I sent 19 eggs.

I also, while I was composing this, got a message from the buyer. They want me to reship (for free, from the sounds of their wording) due to this USPS snafu. What should I do or say?

I would tell them to wait for now until the package arrives. You shipped promptly so this IS completely out of your control right now. Thinking from just shipping anything type of perspective as a seller you would say that anyway.

Need more advise. Just got this message. Yes, they are expecting free eggs reshipped for free.

This is an unfortunate situation for both of us. However, I'd like you to see this from my point of view for a minute. I spent $57 for shipped eggs to arrive. Out of 9 orders, this is the only one I did not receive. There is a high probability that the eggs sat somewhere in heaven-knows-what temperature for an extended period of time, as they are not here on day 4. So, they might show up, but we both know the odds of any hatching at this point. I don't really want to spend more money for fewer eggs. Anytime you order something, be it a eggs or a can opener, it should arrive in good condition and in a timely manner. I will let you know if the box arrives tomorrow, but I hope you insured it. It just isn't prudent for me to accept these eggs as viable given the delayed shipping.

*sigh*

I feel a little lost with this situation. I can't control shipping time, and if they'd wanted express, they could have asked I sent express in the first place. I packaged the eggs to arrive intact, but time is something only a Time Lord can manipulate.

Maybe I should reship on Monday (they want tomorrow, but I don't have enough eggs to be worth it), but ask them to pay the different between priority and express? That way, they're new eggs get there fast. And maybe they'll leave a positive feedback, but I am doubting it at this point.

First off, It isn't day 4 from the day they were shipped, if you shipped them on the 20th. It is only day 3. Secondly the delay in shipping will have absolutely nothing to do with the viability of the eggs that you shipped. With that thinking I would never hatch any of my own eggs because I only set them once a week with some of the eggs being 7 days old. As long as you did not guarantee in your ebay ad that they would be delivered in a certain time, you have done nothing wrong. I would tell them that eggs are viable up to 10 days from the time they are laid with no difference in outcome of incubation from an egg set in an incubator the day it is laid, and there is minimal reduced viability after two weeks.

Do you have a statement that you are not responsible for the USPS delivery system and the viability of eggs shipped. If you do then repeat it back to them, while stressing that as long as they receive the eggs within 7 days from the date they are shipped you will consider your transaction complete. If they arrive after the 7 days, in a gesture of good faith you could re send eggs if you wanted to. You obviously have proof that the eggs shipped, so its not like you took their money and didn't send them anything.

Lanae

Last edited:
X2 on all of the above. When I buy hatching eggs from small scale sellers, I expect a seller to send me fertile eggs that are packed well and sent in a timely manner, and most sellers have a statement saying that is the extent of what they are responsible for. I hope you do state something similar on your page. Eggs don't need four days to get cooked at "heaven-knows-what temperature", so they should look into ordering eggs through temperature controlled sources if that is an issue of concern to them. Viability is by no means voided after four days, nor is four days a long shipping time! And again, they should have chosen different options if this was a concern. If the buyer wanted more financial protection, then they should have worked that out with you before purchasing. Unfortunately, eBay seems to be so heavily skewed towards buyers and large scale sellers these days that I'm not sure how things like this play out.

Everything on your end an with the shipping sounds normal. Your buyer is screaming red flags at me. No matter what I would not reship. Wit till you know when the eggs arrived. If the time seems ok to you, block this buyer from bidding on anything else. If the time is not good, refund the money (cause ebay will force you to if they dispute) eat the loss an block the buyer.

You have a bad buyer that will most likely end in a refund no matter what you do so assume you have lost eggs an the cost of shipping an anything you do from this point on to make them happy will come out of pocket too.

I have issued a refund for the buyer. This isn't worth the stress. You're right, it seemed alarming from the beginning, especially how pushy they're being, insisting I reship after only three days post shipping. I cannot control the post office. At this point, the negative feedback will be OK. The eggs I would have sent will be better in my own incubator at this point.

Issuing a refund now means I'm only out the eggs and the cost of shipping. If I'd have reshipped, likely I'd have been out the cost of shipping x2 plus another set of eggs.

As a buyer, I've never behaved so poorly! I mean, I worried when eggs took a while, but I wasn't angry at the seller. I was angry at the post office! And you know what, if I wanted those eggs there the next day, I should have paid for express, but that costs more than most sets of eggs alone!

Yep, you are not the one acting badly here. Don't give it another worry. Reasons like this are why I largely ignore negative feedback on Ebay on the rare occasion I still buy anything off of there.

Yup, as a buyer, I know how long it can take to get a shipment if you're not willing to pony up the cash for express shipping. I also know you can set eggs on the old side, and have a decent hatch. Depends on how rough the transit was, more so than how long it took.

I too ignore the odd negative feedback, knowing how some customers can get over things. Had a customer at work call in asking where his order was. Did some checking, it hadn't been paid for. Apparently he thought we'd pay for everything and order it, when it was clearly explained that it doesn't get ordered until it's paid for. He got mad. I explained it all again. Then told him it was $5 on Ebay versus the $19.99 through us. I can spend the time helping 5 customers who get it, compared to the one who doesn't.

Sometimes bending over backwards is required, then again, issuing a refund and being done with it preserves more sanity. Other times, people look for ways to get freebies. Throwing a stink over some small thing to get a reward. In your case, throwing the fit and insisting on free eggs, sent again at your expense... when I bet that first box will be set in the incubator, and had you sent another, that box too. Effectively doubling their order on your dime.

It's different when the wait drags on and on, and by the time they arrive, the box is dinged and there is some breakage... yes, replace the box. Not even the 4th day? Complaining already? You're right, refund and move on. It could have been an attempt to get extras for free, it could have been genuine concern based on the risks of shipped eggs. What we think everyone should know about it, could not be known by that person. You can't get a vibe off of a person through internet sales, so it's hard to say.

A negative has been assured now. I mean, I haven't actually received it, but it will happen. That is what I am getting from the tone of the most recent messages. And they don't seem to understand why demanding a reshipment after such a a short period of time is unreasonable.

Edit: Negative left, whoo!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom