eBay eggs

Buying hatching eggs from anyone is a gamble, but I steer clear of ebay unless they're a member on here. Post in the wanted to buy section on BYC, you are sure to find what you want.

The Postal Service has a way of handling the boxes too rough and that can decrease your fertility. You might want to check breeders more local to you, and avoid going through the post office if you can
wink.png

I did ebay and wasn't too thrilled. I ordered blue wyandottes and got buff orps. The hatch rate was bad, 5 out of 20. The quality of the birds is pretty low also. I am hatching two sets from people here now. I would try to find someone here that has what you want because everyone seems to show their birds and their farm on their profile. Ebay was just a stock picture of the bird it was claimed to be and who knows how well they were kept. I actually wondered if they sent a batch or Trader Joe's and didn't even have a farm.

Maybe try Craigslist in your area too. Then you can go pick them out. Shipping is very hard on them.

Last edited:
I have twice from 2 different people with chicken eggs and all the eggs were packaged great and I was given extras and all were fertile. My hatch rate sucked but that was because of bator temp problems (I think) because the eggs were all developed to the almost ready to hatch status, but just never did.

I'm an Ebay seller and sell duck, chicken, guinea eggs on Ebay. I'm also a frequent buyer of many different types of eggs on Ebay and I would say that I've only had 2 bad experiences in 6 years of doing business on Ebay. I've literally bought 100's of dozens of eggs, I kid you not! Two customers complained that their Runner duck eggs didn't hatch last month, I refunded their money immediately (wished they hadn't waited 6 weeks to tell me they hadn't hatched!!!) and then immediately threw 2 dozen eggs in my incubator to check fertility. I have 22 new ducklings running around.
th.gif
So I don't know if it was their incubation technique or the Post Office or both but my eggs are fine.

Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Laurie

I have a batch of araucana eggs from eBay in my 'bator (with other araucana eggs from a seller here). Both sets of eggs are lookin' good. There were a lot of detached aircells, despite very sturdy packing methods. So that tells me the post office was VERY rough with the packages. Thankfully a lot of aircells stabilized, though some didn't. I just got two more sets of eggs from two eBay sellers for the next go (one more is enroute), and again, lots of detatched aircells. The post office doesn't head fragile warnings on the box, they just go about playing kickball with the packages as per usual.

Like with any seller, look over the feedback and their egg selling history. Read feedback to look for mentions of good packing, intact arrivals, etc.

I have bought eggs from ebay with mixed results. My button quail had a really good hatch. The ducks I tried did not. I think they got scrambled. I only had two hatch and live. It really depends on how they are packed, and a mirad of other things.

It really is a gamble.... Here is my recent experience:

This was my first time incubating chicken eggs...

I hatched 8 out of 8 of my OWN egg....

I won an ebay auction for 12+ eggs and received 17 eggs in perfect condition... only one failed to ever develop. 13 out of 16 hatched yesterday and the other 3 are still in the bator with my
fl.gif
They are at 23 days and had live chicks in them when I candled before lockdown!

I also bought eggs from a member here. I bought 12 & they sent 18.... Most never developed
sad.png
... they stayed clear/yellow when I candled them. Tomorrow is there hatching day and I only have 7 with live chicks moving around in them. 3 are just too dark for me to candle & be sure
fl.gif
they all hatch okay! I REALLY wanted them and can't find them locally! Even if only 7 hatch I still didn't pay too much. Would have been about equal to buying local chicks.

Back
Top Bottom