EcoGlow reviews??

I do not have any chicks, but I just bought this because of your reviews. It sounds like a much better alternative than an incandescent bulb all the time! Chicks to come in the next month or so when we're ready, and it's a tad warmer!

Quote:
I bought one and it arrives next week. Why do you think they need the red fluorescent bulb during the day? Do you think leaving a regular light on during the day would be fine? I wasn't planning on using a fluorescent bulb. But maybe I shoud?

4kids*2dogs :

I bought one and it arrives next week. Why do you think they need the red fluorescent bulb during the day? Do you think leaving a regular light on during the day would be fine? I wasn't planning on using a fluorescent bulb. But maybe I shoud?

I was originally going to brood them in the garage and didn't want to leave the lights on during the day. I know that red lights help prevent pecking and aggressive behavior, so I bought a low-wattage red fluorescent light (they're sold as "party lights" and come in several colors). Because it's a cool light, I put it in an old desktop elbow lamp I had laying around.

I ended up brooding them (so far) in the kitchen (hubby was out of town for a week). They really get enough natural light from the windows, but I still have the red lamp on over them during the day for additional light and to discourage aggressive behavior. Probably don't need it -- they're so happy in there I don't think they'd ever start pecking each other.​

Quote:
You DON'T need it. The red light doesn't, on its own, discourage pecking; it is just less likely than when using white light. Chicks are less able to see things which may trigger pecking. If somebody gets pecked and bleeds, the blood is less visible. And it is more calming than bright white light 24/7.

When I first purchased my baby chicks, I seriously considered getting one of these Brinsea EcoGlows because I like the idea of keeping the lights off at night so they would have a day and night. However, now that I've had the chicks for a week, I noticed that even with the little red heat lamp, it gets dark enough in their room where they seem to know night from day. When I go in their room at night and turn on the lights, they all wake up and start running around. I still like the general idea of the Brinsea EcoGlow.

Would love to hear from those of you who just recently purchased one.
And would love to know if you're still using it beyond 3 weeks of age.

Quote:
Me too! I am wondering if I am going to need a heat lamp too for when they are older or will raising the Eco Glow on a couple of pieces of wood be enough? I have 9 chicks coming.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom