EcoGlow reviews??

4kids*2dogs :

Quote:
Me too! I am wondering if I am going to need a heat lamp too for when they are older or will raising the Eco Glow on a couple of pieces of wood be enough? I have 9 chicks coming.

It is height adjustable. If you follow the diagram in their directions, it is quick and easy to change. It will be plenty high enough at the top setting. Remember, it's radiant heat, and they love to cuddle under it like the would if they were with their momma. Ours don't spend much time under it, except to sleep. They seem to be just fine with the room temperature at 65-70. And they're almost 2 weeks old.​

My chicks are almost 5 weeks. They are no longer really using it except to perch on it, although they can easily fit under on the highest setting. I'm taking it out in a few days - they don't need it now. So a big thumbs up for the ecoglow - I may have to get a second one for my next hatch although I'll see how many chicks start developing first.
smile.png

4kids*2dogs :

What do you put underneath the Ecoglow? Just the pine shavings? Or do you put the paper towels under as well?

For the first several days I use paper towels, then I switch to pine shavings. They love the pine shavings because they can nestle down in them. If you think you see a chick that is dead, look again. It's probably just dust bathing in the shavings!​

I just found lots of negative comments about the EcoGlow over on the PoultryChat forums. Many are sending them back to the suppliers. Different strokes I guess.

Mine finally came today and I got it set up. The chicks seem to like it. They are 11 days old and I left it on the lowest setting for now. It is going to take some getting used to on my part. Several times through out the day, I peek in and count them. Now I have to pick the ecoglow up to see if everyone is ok. They wake up and run around the brooder.

I plan to turn off the light in their room for a couple of hours tonight. Being able to do that will be great. My last batch of chicks didn't learn about night and day until they were 12 weeks old and I finished the coop. They had a rough first night in the dark...carrying on and crying. I had to go out several times with a flashlight. Then the next day ran an extention cord and gave them a night light. With this batch of chicks, I am hoping to do better.

Most of the bad reviews I saw, were prior to the recall. The ecoglow Brinsea sells now is the "new improved" model.

So far so good!!

I think there were quite a few problems with the older model. They used to have a silver hotplate instead of a black one and those ones didn't give off enough heat. It's a pity that happened cause it seems to have prejudiced loads of people against trying out the new ones just cause they heard bad things about the older ones. I'm on a UK chicken forum too and everyone there hates the Ecoglows. They say stuff like it froze their chicks, or it made their chicks ill. When I said I used them and never had any problems with them, no-one replied to me. I think a lot of people have made their minds up already withough trying them out for themselves...

Quote:
The original model was fewer watts and did not put out enough radiant heat. The underside on those models is silver. Brinsea listened to their customers complaints and increased the wattage to 14 and the revamped model puts out 10x the radiant heat.

Customers were invited to send their old ones to Brinsea to exchange for the newer version (which is black on the underside). The new version is getting rave reviews.

How many manufacturers do you know that would be that responsive to customers' input?

Brinsea has my vote.

Edited to correct the wattage: New model is only 14 watts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom