EcoGlow reviews??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AZBootsie, Feb 27, 2011.

1. 4kids*2dogs

4kids*2dogs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:The original model was 4 watts less and did not put out enough radiant heat. The underside on those models is silver. Brinsea listened to their customers complaints and increased the wattage from 14 to 18 and the revamped model puts out 10x the radiant heat.

Customers were invited to send their old ones to Brinsea to exchange for the newer version (which is black on the underside). The new version is getting rave reviews.

How many manufacturers do you know that would be that responsive to customers' input?

Brinsea has my vote.

My model that I just received is a 14w. I just tt Brinsea. The problems were only in the UK - different model, different standards. They are coming out withe a larger model in April that can handle more chicks. That model will be 18w but chicks are Fine With the smaller 14w model. (black underside)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  2. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    4kids*2dogs :

My model that I just received is a 14w. I just tt Brinsea. The problems were only in the UK - different model, different standards. They are coming out withe a larger model in April that can handle more chicks. That model will be 18w but chicks are Fine With the smaller 14w model. (black underside)

Oh, boy! A larger EcoGlow! That means we can brood even more chicks!!! [​IMG]

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Yeah, if it's larger, even I might buy one!

[​IMG]

4. Hopeful Peacock

Hopeful Peacock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    middle TN
    I am off grid too, and this sounds like exactly what I need! First peeps coming in 2 1/2 weeks! I was worried about trying to either heat them with hot water bottles all the time or running my generator (which I hate to do!) to fuel a wasteful incandescent bulb! 14 watts (or 18), I can handle. Thanks for the comments, everyone!

5. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    What is the max number of chicks recomended for the EcoGlow? fifty degrees f is very high for an ambient temp unless you have the "glow" in doors.

6. 4kids*2dogs

4kids*2dogs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:20

7. alpinefarm

alpinefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    Quote:I have done the hot water bottle thing for a couple broods. I surrounded the brooder/tote completely with an arctic-style down sleeping bag at night, too, to keep the heat in. This has worked wonderfully for me...a little labor-intensive but no losses!

8. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I'm planning on using mine for swaps also. I have an inverter (I think that's what DH calls it) that plugs into the cigarette lighter of my suv, a regular plug fits in the other side. I figure a box on the seat with the ecoglow plugged in should keep them warm. I let you know if I kill my battery! [​IMG]

9. ggarratt

ggarratt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Midcoast, Maine
    I'm loving my new eco-glow so far. I have some two week old chicks who are still squeezing under it at it's lowest setting just fine. But it took them awhile to figure it out. Here's my question though... now that they're starting to roost on top of it, how do I clean it off???

10. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:I just wipe the top off with a paper towel. Dampen it for the stuck-on poop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by