EcoGlow reviews??

have it and love it
thumbsup.gif

Just trying to decide if I need to move up a level- my 2 week old little babe chicks are now sleeping near the edges sometimes as opposed to directly under the ecoglow.

I've never moved mine up a level. Brinsea's own advice says that the different heights are more to be able to accommodate different species rather than to be able to accommodate each species at increasing sizes as it grows. I can't remember if I saw it on their website or in one of their brochures, but I definitely remember reading something that said the lowest level should be fine for chicks and that you shouldn't need to raise the heating platform at all. Believe me, if they're cold they'll squish under there somehow! But if they're sleeping round the edges, it's most likely just cause they don't need the heat as much now that they're more feathered out.

Quote:
Ok thanks, I did read the instructions and you are correct. I want them to get used to cool temps anyway as they will be headed out in cold weather as soon as they are feathered out.

Or you could turn a clear plastic tun upside down, cut large holes it looks like a hut and the chicks can waslkin/out.THe get a under tank aquarium heater and slap it under there , what would be the inside bottom of the plastic tub. You could use a dimmer or a cheap rheostat to control the heat output.

Quote:
I tried that with my last lot of chicks when I put them outside in their growing shed. But they'd taken to roosting on top of it and when I propped one end up there was mass consternation as they slipped and slid downhill from one end of it to the other. I think they were rather disgusted with me. And then they'd kicked it off its props by the next morning and it was sitting flat again. So that was the end of that!

We've been using ours for the last two weeks for our Pekin ducklings and they love it! The plug in is actually on the side of the top so it doesn't need to run on the brooder floor at all. We have ours pulled up and over the brooder wall to the plug in :)

I brooded three sets of chicks under my EcoGlow20 with great success...I decided to check the temp under it & it reads 78 degrees...so apparently that is good enough...With a light, I had trouble with chicks dying, & I think it was just too hot....Two things I DON'T like about the EcoGlow #1 that you don't get to SEE your chicks all cuddled up because they are hidden by the heating platform & #2 that it is difficult to change the height & I worry that it will break if I move it again...so I just keep it at the middle level.

Back
Top Bottom