Ed Harris Redmond man shoots dog attacking chickens remember me????

erafter

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Redmond Oregon
Ed Harris Redmond man shoots dog attacking chickens remember me????

This is Ed Harris
I want to share with you info about what we all face for protecting our loved and cherished animals from selfish, better neighbors. We just received an extortion letter from an attorney representing the Gapp’s in an attempt to go after myself and my insurance company. This letter basically says I made up everything and that I hunted down Mr. Gapp's dog and shot it off my property. The letter is five pages long.
I'm trying to process this new event. You all helped my family this summer so much and we could really use the support again more than ever. This was very hard on my children and wife the last time. We could use your prayers again.

I'm so sorry to hear that this is still causing problems with your family. Please let us know if you need any letters, emails or calls made.

I'm beginning to think that there needs to be a legal defense fund set up for people having chicken related legal issues. We could call it the AChLU (American Chicken Liberties Union)
wink.png

Edited to Add: I agree that you should counter sue. He's probably thinking that your insurance company won't want to go to court and will just settle. Easy money for him and his lawyer - higher premiums or cancellation for you.

Last edited:
Quote:
You may be joking here, but I have been thinking that it wouldn't be a bad idea for all us chicken folks to unite and create a team that could help to fight miseducation, rights violations, and legal problems when they arise. I can't lead the charge, but if someone has some energy and some knowhow, I think it should be pretty easy to get the support.

I was hoping to start the work on the way chickens are looked at in the city we live in this fall after my kids got back in school. School started yesterday so here I go.

Oh Good God! Dont they ever let up???!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like they are doing everything they can to get their revenge back when they know they lost. Some folks just dont know when to quit!

Prayers sent for your family and particularly you. I think a lawyer may be the thing to do to make reference about your letter from the dog owners.

hugs.gif

Quote:
Seriously! Counter sue or something. My heart goes out to you and your family! As if protecting your flock isn't stressful enough, now you have to deal with this!
barnie.gif
Prayers are most definitely sent!
hugs.gif

Yes, I would counter sue. You have losses too - injury to chickens and turkeys, legal expenses, emotional distress, defamation of character, etc. I think you need to have your lawyer send them a letter back. They are probably just fishing for money. If they had been better owners to begin with, the whole thing never would have happened. They must be real creeps.

The burden is on them to prove that you hunted down their dog and shot it off your property with intent. Can they do that? Unlikely, intent is very hard to prove, and they need witnesses for the rest.

I agree with a countersuit. Try and take them for everything including your suffering and the family stress, and likely the whole thing will get dropped. It's a bluff strike most likely. Fishing to see if you will cough up some cash just to make them feel better.

If I remember correctly, the police did not assign fault to anybody. In this case, and in front of the court the man did admit that he allowed the dogs to roam out of his sight.

He came up to you and the police officer speaking while he was still looking for his dog some time later. He has absolutely no knowledge that you did anything other than what you said. If he has the money to burn having lawyers write letters ... well let him burn his cash-0la
smile.png

Until he sends you something you have to respond to ..................

And I agree with some of the other posters - I would counter sue for harassment......... and that cutesy flier they passed out? I'd use that as well. Hit him where it hurts and hit for a big dollar amount and offer them to settle for a smaller amount to cover your lawyers costs now and a couple months ago with the agreement that this is the last you have heard of them.

Back
Top Bottom