Edamame pods?

boil them in salt water.
I research quickly about Edamame. From what I read,,, there are some RED Flags to human consumption ,, especially women. Small amounts seem to be fine.
Raw,,,,, is totally bad. But you say you cook yours. That is supposed to neutralize most of the bad things. That may be correct. Now lets get to the boiling in salt water. That is where your chickens may get more salt than necessary,,,, even though the toxic portion may have been boiled away.

I know Kidney beans need to be cooked to be not harmful for us to eat. My main reason I avoid getting dry ones, and opt for canned/cooked, when I make Chili.

Personally,,,,, I would skip feeding the leftover greens to the chickens.
For yourself,,, search out the opinions of Good Nutritionists, and then decide.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I saved the pods today and took a good look at them. There is a long fibrous string on the side of each pod. The rest of the pod was soft and dissolved when I chewed on it. I boil them for a pretty long time, until they start splitting and the beans come out.

I rinsed the pods and chopped them in our little food chopper. I added some pumpkin, oats, blueberries, and Romaine lettuce. The birds pounced on it and ate it all up (one leghorn stepped in it and walked around with a big clump of it all over her little foot, hahaha). I don't know if I'll give them pods all the time but it seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom