Edens Acre - The Story of My Flock

Pics
I have 3 and they are great 👍. I have seen differing opinions on them on this site but for me, they love people, are lap chickens, make the cutest noises and make me laugh.
Some call Silkies "lawn ornaments", :lol: some of us love the lap sitters and want to keep chickens as pets. I do too, I just may have to get some Silkies soon!

A new day and a new feeling of excitement for my flock! I contacted a friend who was a chicken keeper and she said she would "take care" of Ozzie for me. His behavior was becoming aggressive and some could say potentially dangerous. My recent potential "flogging" (the jury is still out if it was intentional or a mistake) and the worry about my children being in the Coop and run with him, the pecking and harassment of my gals, the bullying of the younger pullets, and the constant crowing to one up Leroy was enough to force my hand in not keeping him. I worried that taking him away would make a new dynamic of the flock that could be worse but decided to hedge my bets and take him out of the flock. We drove about 45min deeper into the country. She has a beautiful property and her Americana gals are mature layers. We arrived and she looked at him, he is an impressive rooster after all. She asked if I would mind him going in with her hens for a bit while we visited. She had spoken to her children about it and they were willing to take him on. With new gals, older and wiser, and no other rooster, maybe he could make a good rooster for them, and if he didn't then he could make a decent dinner too. They never kept a rooster before but Ozzie was young, beautiful and they were hoping he would work out. I had no problem with it. I had divulged all of his behavioral issues before asking her to cull him. I had been sick with a cold/flu? since Saturday but she did not care and we visited and it was lovely. As the past few days have passed, I have noticed a change in my flock ..a GREAT one!!! 😍🥰 No more incessant dominance crowing, no constant harassment of my gals, no chasing of my younger pullets. Leroy is still a mellow fellow and sits on my lap for pets and watches his harem with calm eyes. My youngest silkie cockerel Ombre is crowing a little...absolutely adorable! My gals are settled down, my pullets are integrated and not running stressfully throughout the Coop and run. Tinker is growing into an impressive cockerel himself and he will be headed out to Ohio to his new family on next Saturday. Life is good today 👍 I see beautiful babies in the future, I see peace in my flock and I am once again enjoying my chicken journey.

A new day and a new feeling of excitement for my flock! I contacted a friend who was a chicken keeper and she said she would "take care" of Ozzie for me. His behavior was becoming aggressive and some could say potentially dangerous. My recent potential "flogging" (the jury is still out if it was intentional or a mistake) and the worry about my children being in the Coop and run with him, the pecking and harassment of my gals, the bullying of the younger pullets, and the constant crowing to one up Leroy was enough to force my hand in not keeping him. I worried that taking him away would make a new dynamic of the flock that could be worse but decided to hedge my bets and take him out of the flock. We drove about 45min deeper into the country. She has a beautiful property and her Americana gals are mature layers. We arrived and she looked at him, he is an impressive rooster after all. She asked if I would mind him going in with her hens for a bit while we visited. She had spoken to her children about it and they were willing to take him on. With new gals, older and wiser, and no other rooster, maybe he could make a good rooster for them, and if he didn't then he could make a decent dinner too. They never kept a rooster before but Ozzie was young, beautiful and they were hoping he would work out. I had no problem with it. I had divulged all of his behavioral issues before asking her to cull him. I had been sick with a cold/flu? since Saturday but she did not care and we visited and it was lovely. As the past few days have passed, I have noticed a change in my flock ..a GREAT one!!! 😍🥰 No more incessant dominance crowing, no constant harassment of my gals, no chasing of my younger pullets. Leroy is still a mellow fellow and sits on my lap for pets and watches his harem with calm eyes. My youngest silkie cockerel Ombre is crowing a little...absolutely adorable! My gals are settled down, my pullets are integrated and not running stressfully throughout the Coop and run. Tinker is growing into an impressive cockerel himself and he will be headed out to Ohio to his new family on next Saturday. Life is good today 👍 I see beautiful babies in the future, I see peace in my flock and I am once again enjoying my chicken journey.
Oh how wonderful! One bird can upset the entire flock, I am so glad removing Ozzie has helped your birds relax and I know you will enjoy your flock more too. Fabulous!

A few small updates to my chicken journey. The first is that Ozzie is adjusting slowly to his new home. So far he is still alive and trying to integrate with all of his new potential girlfriends. The next is that Tinker Stinker (our pullet who became a lovely little cockerel) is going to his new home today! His new mommy will be here in about an hour and she came Thursday to introduce herself and sit with him, hold him and talk to him for a few hours. I think he will make a beautiful rooster in the future and he is a sweetheart to boot. I am wishing him and his new family much luck at his new home in Ohio! Also, I have a couple of people who have broached the subject of me selling them grown out 6-8 week pullets in the spring. I am on the fence about this. I feel they could maybe do fertilized eggs?? But growing out pullets and potentially the people back out...hmmm...any suggestions on this? I can see some pros and also cons...however that is not until spring at the earliest sooo...who knows lol. So happy Tink is going to a lovely home!
IMG_20230604_071728.jpg
IMG20230603073923.jpg

Back
Top Bottom