Edgar's Mission chicken ID

The first one appears to be an Old English Game Bantam, albeit his leg color is wrong.

Black Breasted Red Old English Game have pinkish or whitish legs, even in Australia. His leg color is correct for the breed

The Red Duckwing boy could possibly be an Australian Pit Game also.

The BBR boy is textbook Australian OEG. Their OEGs look different from ours in the U.S. I strongly suspect the one with the partial beard is an OEG mix based on type, but don't know enough about Australian Pit games to rule that out for him.

The first looks like an Old English Game bantam, second and fourth like Indian Game bantam mixes, and third like a d'Uccle mix of some sort, likely d'Uccle x OEGB with possibly something else in there as well to supply the yellow skin gene.
I'm going to agree except I'm wondering if the third is an Australian Langshan (bantam?) mix. I am not sure how common they are but type/leg length gave me that first impression.

Black Breasted Red Old English Game have pinkish or whitish legs, even in Australia. His leg color is correct for the breed
Every Old English Game Bantam standard website I have seen says that they must have slate shanks, and my Black Breasted Red cockerel has slate legs as well. The American Standard of Perfection may say different (I don't have the book). I am only going off the websites I have seen.

Are you perhaps thinking of Brown Red OEGBs? Those do have slate shanks. Black Breasted Reds have white shanks in the U.S.'s standard for the variety, and white, yellow, or willow shanks in Australia's standard, not slate. 🙂
I have heard the same (slate legs) for every color variety of Old English Game Bantam, but then again I do not have the Standard of Perfection, which apparently suggests otherwise. If that is the case, then my Black Breasted Red cockerel must have the wrong shank color, correct? (He's not bred to any standard either, he came from Tractor Supply but I find him very beautiful.)

I have heard the same (slate legs) for every color variety of Old English Game Bantam, but then again I do not have the Standard of Perfection, which apparently suggests otherwise. If that is the case, then my Black Breasted Red cockerel must have the wrong shank color, correct? (He's not bred to any standard either, he came from Tractor Supply but I find him very beautiful.)

The solid-color OEGBs (except White and I believe Buff) and birchen-based OEGBs do have slate shanks. The duckwing variants, wheaten variants, and some other random colors like Barred (likely because the barring gene makes it hard to get a good slate color in the shanks) all should have white shanks in the U.S. Looking through my ABA standard, it looks like the number of white-shanked varieties is just a tiny bit ahead of the slate-shanked varieties, but they're just about equal.

Yes, your cockerel has the wrong shank color for an OEGB. If he's from TSC, however, he could just be a Dutch bantam instead of an OEGB. One of the hatcheries TSC frequently orders through does carry Dutch bantams and they're pretty easily confused with OEGBs due to a lot of intermixing of the two breeds in hatchery lines of Dutch bantams. But Dutch are supposed to have slate legs, whereas Black Breasted Red OEGBs shouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom