Edgar's Mission chicken ID

The solid-color OEGBs (except White and I believe Buff) and birchen-based OEGBs do have slate shanks. The duckwing variants, wheaten variants, and some other random colors like Barred (likely because the barring gene makes it hard to get a good slate color in the shanks) all should have white shanks in the U.S. Looking through my ABA standard, it looks like the number of white-shanked varieties is just a tiny bit ahead of the slate-shanked varieties, but they're just about equal.

Yes, your cockerel has the wrong shank color for an OEGB. If he's from TSC, however, he could just be a Dutch bantam instead of an OEGB. One of the hatcheries TSC frequently orders through does carry Dutch bantams and they're pretty easily confused with OEGBs due to a lot of intermixing of the two breeds in hatchery lines of Dutch bantams. But Dutch are supposed to have slate legs, whereas Black Breasted Red OEGBs shouldn't.
Hmm... This is interesting. @MysteryChicken

The solid-color OEGBs (except White and I believe Buff) and birchen-based OEGBs do have slate shanks. The duckwing variants, wheaten variants, and some other random colors like Barred (likely because the barring gene makes it hard to get a good slate color in the shanks) all should have white shanks in the U.S. Looking through my ABA standard, it looks like the number of white-shanked varieties is just a tiny bit ahead of the slate-shanked varieties, but they're just about equal.

Yes, your cockerel has the wrong shank color for an OEGB. If he's from TSC, however, he could just be a Dutch bantam instead of an OEGB. One of the hatcheries TSC frequently orders through does carry Dutch bantams and they're pretty easily confused with OEGBs due to a lot of intermixing of the two breeds in hatchery lines of Dutch bantams. But Dutch are supposed to have slate legs, whereas Black Breasted Red OEGBs shouldn't.
I don't think he would have the correct breast carriage to be a Dutch Bantam. His body is more long and straight than carried upward at the breast. I will find a picture of him, but his flighty temperament doesn't allow for good ones. He is definitely beautiful, though. Honestly, he looks more like red junglefowl than a chicken, but I very highly doubt that.

I don't think he would have the correct breast carriage to be a Dutch Bantam. His body is more long and straight than carried upward at the breast. I will find a picture of him, but his flighty temperament doesn't allow for good ones. He is definitely beautiful, though. Honestly, he looks more like red junglefowl than a chicken, but I very highly doubt that.
Screenshot_20231007-085819_Textra.jpg

Here is Jasper!

Back
Top Bottom