*edit* They're 1 month old now, new pics possible roos pg 2

RedHead

Songster
11 Years
Jan 22, 2009
East Lake, NC
My Hubby and I ordered 25 chicks (2roos, 23 pullets) from Welp hatchery and we only lost 2 in shipping but somehow have 24, maybe they miscounted or something. Anyways, I've read that the roos don't feather out as quick as the pullets and I think we got both the roos but I'm not for sure. They're all developing little bumps on their legs, like they're all going to have spurs and most are taking flight already lol. I would just like to know if there is any way I could tell at this point, Most have tail feathers and most of their wing feathers already, save the 2 I think might be roos. I'm pretty new to the chicken thing but am having fun with it so far, they're definitely entertaining. I'm posting pics, maybe they'll help? I don't know...any suggestions?
what I think might be a pullet?
21598_pullet.jpg

The 2 I think might be roos
21598_sd530486.jpg

Another pullet? maybe?
21598_sd530488.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you are going to be able to tell at this age.

People will give you a lot of opinions and wives tales on how to tell the difference.

The hatcheries have people that vent sex them. There is something obviously different down there. But, the average person can't do this.

And interesting tid bit. For some reason, Asian (oriental) people are better at this. People that do it at hatcheries and other producers are almost exclusively asian. I know this may sound weird, but my wife studied animal science in college, and took a class on poultry, and that's what she learned in class.

You realistically will not be able to tell, until their combs and wattles develop.

The reason those of Asian heritage are better apt to do it, is because it is an ancient tradition that is passed down from generation to generation.

I am able to vent sex by learning from them as well as my own ways.

Production RIRs are generally easier to tell the difference between sexes, as the females get the tail feathers in much faster than the males. Based on this, the 1 and 3 birds "should be" pullets and the middle birds should be cockerels.

Is there a way to get a photograph of the front so I can judge the shape/ contour of the head?

In my opinion there is a definite difference in wing shape and tail lenth at this age. I have four rir chicks right now that are all born the exact same day. Despite this the feathers on three of the chicks were growing longer and pointier and tail feathers are as well. The other chick's feathering is noticablly different as the wing feathers are more rounded and tail feathers not as long. Now my theory is that cockerels grow at a faster rate than pullets so I would say that the cokerels will have the longer wing and tail feathers. I am working on my theory with this new batch I have. If it is correct I will have three cockerels and one pullet. So now only time will tell.
big_smile.png

They loke like RIR to me.

Chef

Last edited:
this one I think I'm gonna call 'Ham' cuz she? doesn't seem to mind the cam lol
21598_chicks_002_edited.jpg

21598_chicks_012.jpg

The ones I think are roos don't like the cam that much lol this one started yelling at me when I tried taking a pic
21598_chicks_004.jpg

21598_chicks_008.jpg

21598_chicks_005.jpg

I've been trying to get clearer pictures but my camera isn't cooperating with me right now lol

And they better not be sex-links lol, I ordered RIR, they're still good babies even if the hatchery Messed up lol

Last edited:
Yeah, those are just way too blurry to tell from hun.

On the bright side...if they ARE sex-links...then you've got all girls! lol!

But they look like production reds to me!

yea, I'll try working the kinks out w/ my cam tomarrow, they're all taking a nap right now, gotta let the babies sleep

but idk, I hope I'm right as far as my theories on which are which lol
I just don't want a whole bunch of roos, we only ordered 2 in case 1 didn't make it but it's looking like both did. the wing feathers that are comming in on the 2 are redder than the rest of the chicks and the one of the 2 that has more white in the down is bigger than the rest as well.
They're all supposed to be production reds. I guess I'll just have to wait and see which are which lol I was just getting concerned cuz I read that I have to seperate the males from females at about 3-8wks cuz of fighting and sexual activity and they're a day or 2 shy of 2wks. AND they've started fighting a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom