EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

I don't know how I forgot to tell this story, but I did. About 2 weeks ago we had the scare of a lifetime. My mom was outside on the porch and my dad and I were in the house. Mom popped her head in the back door and yelled 'Dear!' My dad answered back 'Yes dear?' Mom yells back 'No! Deer!' So dad and I run outside to see this very young doe running herself into the fence next to one of the gates to Star's field. She got herself tangled up in it and stuck behind a playhouse none of the kids use anymore. Dad and I had very different ideas as to what we were doing. Dad was trying to get his hands on her, she was trying to kick him, and I was trying to get her through the gate and out of the fence.

I finally get her through and she hobbles through the area next to the chicken pen. At this point, it looks like she either broke her front right leg or dislocated it. I tell mom to go get my lead rope so I could catch her and have some semblance of control over her movement to check her leg and I took off after her. By the time she reached the back fence she was bouncing and flagging. She hopped the back fence and took off. Couldn't even tell she had been limping.

She apparently didn't do as much damage to herself as we had thought. On one hand, we wanted her to be ok. On the other, had she broken her leg, she would have tasted good. She was just old enough to not have spots, but just young enough she was still with her mom. This isn't the first time we've seen this doe.

Less than 10 mins after the doe was gone, a roaming potbellied pig we've seen a few times wandered up looking for a handout. She likes to herd the neighbors' horse and donkey, so we think she likely ran the doe up. We've seen the doe since this happened and she's doing just fine.

Talk about a stressful day!

Kids are so cool. Children aren’t bad either. But you can’t legally lock them outside. :lol:
676A1506.JPG

94be26b913e0dc3a copy.jpg

@duluthralphie , you are invited for dinner tonight. T-bone steak, potato and choice of corn, green beans or peas. Apple pie (crumb topping) À la mode for dessert.
All you have to do is spend ten minutes with Duckling. I’ve given up on avoiding getting sick. She’s nailed me too many times. :lol:

A germ laden rug rat.....oh sure.. I will be right over.....:gig:gig:gig:gig

Hello, folks! I missed you all - things are slowing down, so I'm going to try to keep up more here (at least somewhat). Popped back on to confirm Wazine dosing (found roundworms in poop when cleaning one of the coops today - yuck), and realized I really should come back to hang with my peeps. :hugs

OK, I'm going to do an abbreviated read back of the last couple days (though Ralphie's avatar has already terrified me.... :gig)

- Ant Farm

Hello, folks! I missed you all - things are slowing down, so I'm going to try to keep up more here (at least somewhat). Popped back on to confirm Wazine dosing (found roundworms in poop when cleaning one of the coops today - yuck), and realized I really should come back to hang with my peeps. :hugs

OK, I'm going to do an abbreviated read back of the last couple days (though Ralphie's avatar has already terrified me.... :gig)

- Ant Farm
:frow I hope things are going good!

Back
Top Bottom