EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Hello, folks! I missed you all - things are slowing down, so I'm going to try to keep up more here (at least somewhat). Popped back on to confirm Wazine dosing (found roundworms in poop when cleaning one of the coops today - yuck), and realized I really should come back to hang with my peeps. :hugs

OK, I'm going to do an abbreviated read back of the last couple days (though Ralphie's avatar has already terrified me.... :gig)

- Ant Farm

:wee:frow
Glad to hear from ya!!!

:wee:frow
Glad to hear from ya!!!

:highfive:

BTW, the S&G NNs from Dunlap have been amazing - can now STRONGLY recommend them. Was astonished at how well they did this summer (given their size), the girls started laying late, but have laid fairly well after that, and egg size has climbed to be pretty big (so I expect big chicks). The down side, if you could consider it that, is that the boys are so big that they're not safe to really put with any of the non-S&G girls (for fear of injuring them), so any crosses will likely be with S&G girls and other boys (will likely put Tank with the girls at some point). Bubba, the S&G boy I have with the S&G girls now, is about 10-11 pounds (though he might be more than that by now) - Ricky Bobby (in bachelor pad as back up) is close behind in size - certainly as big as I'd ever want or need a chicken to be. I will probably hatch some this early spring to fill the freezer and keep homozygous NN girls. Muffin is the sweetest chicken I own, and I think she's about 8 or 9 pounds. She insists on being picked up at least once every day, and she likes to stand on the roosts to supervise my coop cleaning. She's a good hugger. :D

MuffinDuck-061517.JPG

So if you're at all considering ordering, it's worth it (though wait until it's warmer so more chicks make it...)

- Ant Farm

Hi Pensmaster!

Those fires ever get put out, did you brother have to evacuate?
Hasn’t had to yet. Thomas Fire still going 35% contained last I checked. Largest fire in December for California 4th largest in California history. I don’t know if Thomas Fire is near him as there are quite a few going on down there. It was supposed to be windy again there today. It certainly was windy here today

BTW, the S&G NNs from Dunlap have been amazing - can now STRONGLY recommend them. Was astonished at how well they did this summer (given their size), the girls started laying late, but have laid fairly well after that, and egg size has climbed to be pretty big (so I expect big chicks). The down side, if you could consider it that, is that the boys are so big that they're not safe to really put with any of the non-S&G girls (for fear of injuring them), so any crosses will likely be with S&G girls and other boys (will likely put Tank with the girls at some point). Bubba, the S&G boy I have with the S&G girls now, is about 10-11 pounds (though he might be more than that by now) - Ricky Bobby (in bachelor pad as back up) is close behind in size - certainly as big as I'd ever want or need a chicken to be. I will probably hatch some this early spring to fill the freezer and keep homozygous NN girls. Muffin is the sweetest chicken I own, and I think she's about 8 or 9 pounds. She insists on being picked up at least once every day, and she likes to stand on the roosts to supervise my coop cleaning. She's a good hugger. :D

View attachment 1211056

So if you're at all considering ordering, it's worth it (though wait until it's warmer so more chicks make it...)

- Ant Farm
Wow, those are some big birds. I'm glad you are happy with them!

Hasn’t had to yet. Thomas Fire still going 35% contained last I checked. Largest fire in December for California 4th largest in California history. I don’t know if Thomas Fire is near him as there are quite a few going on down there. It was supposed to be windy again there today. It certainly was windy here today

I hope they get them contained soon. They appear to have fallen out of the news here.

View attachment 1211056

- Ant Farm
Good news on the S&G’s I had one NN hatch from shipped eggs eBay. Rooster not a big boy at all. My meat mutts are doing well. 7# at 5 months. I’m thinking of sticking with them. The Altsteriers are still in question good meat and they are really doing what I bought them for but I’m thinking of another direction. They would do real well free range however they would visit all the neighbors gardens I’m afraid. Eggs are 60-65 grams but now that winter is closing in they have stopped.
I’d also like to get a green/blue egg layer perhaps a Silveruud.

Back
Top Bottom