EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

@ChickenCanoe: Long time, no see! :frow Congrats on the great hatch form the Executioner incubator! (It’s just setting you up for a fall, I suspect – it’ll kill all the eggs next time!!!)
- Ant Farm
I think it already did.
I had 3 eggs in for the Xmas HAL. I looked at it a few days ago and it was at 104.7.
Two days later it was at 104.5. It will be a Christmas miracle if they hatch.

@BantyChooks: Good luck with the impromptu winter fraternity house for your roosters. They could kill each other – alternatively, you could go out there one day and find that they’re having a kegger… In all seriousness, I always assume that cock birds will need to be separated solo-style absent the usual flock setup if they’ve ever spent any time separated. It’s a pain (and a deterrent to keeping too many boys). If they've been together in the big flock, well, who knows.... :idunno

Oh, and I DID come back! :D BTW, the coop looks fantastic! I love the roost design – I may steal that idea…. Hugs to Jace! And walking a mile in my shoes, weather-wise? Preheat the oven to 400F, then open the oven door and stick your face in…
Thanks! They've been together their whole lives bar one, which was purchased as an adult and just finished integration. By finished, I mean stopped fighting with all of them and will eat and share hens. Some of them sort of drifted away to the main coop (Bad roosters! Bad!) but I don't see excessive hen chasing now that they're cooped, so I'll let them stay in there unless trouble comes up. I have 18ish hens and 8 roosters right now. :oops:

I am so happy with it, and still can't believe it's DONE. No more freezing Saturdays spent destroying my hearing because I forgot to bring ear protection up on the ladder. :wee
The roosts are my favourite part of it.

(I almost decided to leave BYC again for good when the subject o f Ralphie shaving his legs came up, but I struggled through…)
:lau

Shalom Kristin! You finaly came back from the cold!

:cool:

Thanks! They've been together their whole lives bar one, which was purchased as an adult and just finished integration. By finished, I mean stopped fighting with all of them and will eat and share hens. Some of them sort of drifted away to the main coop (Bad roosters! Bad!) but I don't see excessive hen chasing now that they're cooped, so I'll let them stay in there unless trouble comes up. I have 18ish hens and 8 roosters right now. :oops:

I am so happy with it, and still can't believe it's DONE. No more freezing Saturdays spent destroying my hearing because I forgot to bring ear protection up on the ladder. :wee

Glad to hear it's going well! And so pleased about your big coop. But, DANG, GIRL!!!! I thought *I* had a rooster problem... :eek:

Just popping on for a hello. Gotta finish my coffee and then chores to do - it's usually dark when I get home during the week, so I just have to lump almost everything into the weekend.

:frow

- Ant Farm

:lau
Ralphie doesn't shave his legs God told him not to!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom