EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

But, DANG, GIRL!!!! I thought *I* had a rooster problem... :eek:
lol.. mine are over.. a half hour ago a guy loaded up the last 19!:wee:wee
We have only our 5 breeders and 5 meat boys!!!!!!
:wee:wee:wee
:bowGOD!
A month ago 50ish Roosters were crowing all together from 5 am to forever it seemed. Little by little sold off. Chipping away at that number SO SLOWLY..
No More cragslist callers for chickens...
VERY PLEASED RIGHT NOW.:ya
I am so happy with it, and still can't believe it's DONE. No more freezing Saturdays spent destroying my hearing because I forgot to bring ear protection up on the ladder. :wee
The roosts are my favourite part of it.

em-wah happy for banty too..:)
It will be a Christmas miracle if they hatch.
:fl:fl:fl:bow
@Farmer Connie: :frow Sorry for your rain/flooding related losses. :hugs
Life on a peninsula... We are an over developed rain forest..
Thanks for the kind words..:)
Move here, we've got room and no wildfires.
1183590-319f43c104dddbf15d777d76060d0f8a.jpg.gif
cold.gif
tiny chick fart.gif
Ralphie doesn't shave his legs God told him not to!
spin-shock-farmer-connie.gif

Only in spring. :plbb
Isn't your spring and summer have the combined total time of 1,140 hours?
sipping.gif

____________________________________​
Gotta get rid of 16 pigs and then... DUCK POND CONSTRUCTION STARTS!
Em-wah on cloud number nine right now..
ducky.gif

A month ago 50ish Roosters were crowing all together from 5 am to forever it seemed. Little by little sold off. Chipping away at that number SO SLOWLY..

View attachment 1211401 View attachment 1211400View attachment 1211402

View attachment 1211403

View attachment 1211404

Em-wah on cloud number nine right now..View attachment 1211405
One more rooster gone here today as well.
Pond was cleaned by a backhoe a friend of the neighborhood brings in every once and awhile. His rates are so inexpensive it’s worth the wait. Can actually see the water now. NO ducks allowed.

This is the story of "Lefty" The Rooster.
20171217_140634.jpg

Good ole lefty.. He was an assisted hatch chick. Started off in this world being rescued from his shell. Then the poor fella inherited a splayed leg.
Leg was corrected but he was always smaller compared to any average sized chick. Being a runt, deformed and born as an under dog... special needs birds win my heart! You should know me by now.
As he grew he was chased, pecked and had his butt kicked from the other little monsters as well.
But as he grew older we noticed more deformity.
His tail and butt have grown to the left side and the repaired left leg is not perfectly repaired.

Today marks a day in history! All un needed Roosters are far from our farm.
We kept our breeders, meat birds and LEFTY.
He has earned his keep. He is my pal. Tame as a house cat and dumb as a rock.
He has one feral hen who won't leave his side.
Lefty wakes up in the morning and MAKES ONLY ONE RIGHT TURN! He leaves the pole barn and turns right. Then very slowly visits the entire paddock divided land in a complete left circle with his butt as his compass..
He started this behavior because so many other males tore him up, so he stayed far away. Now that they are all sold, it will be interesting to see if his out-cased behavior will change.
Lefty should have been a NASCAR driver.. lol.
The Ferrel hen friend is named Righty, because she is always right by his side..

:cool:

Glad to hear it's going well! And so pleased about your big coop. But, DANG, GIRL!!!! I thought *I* had a rooster problem... :eek:

Just popping on for a hello. Gotta finish my coffee and then chores to do - it's usually dark when I get home during the week, so I just have to lump almost everything into the weekend.

:frow

- Ant Farm
I had I think 12 over the summer, and 5 fewer hens. :oops:

Amazingly, there were no bare backs. My lead cock is great at keeping the rest in check.

View attachment 1211401 View attachment 1211400View attachment 1211402

View attachment 1211403

View attachment 1211404

Em-wah on cloud number nine right now..View attachment 1211405
1,000? Surely you jest. It lasts 72 if we're lucky.

OK, just finished a week read back. Wow - yeah, I'm going to have to figure out better time management or read faster if I'm going to stay on BYC...

@hippiestink: Sorry about the craziness with your customer. I missed the delivery of your baby – already cutting teeth! I REALLY feel behind now. :eek:So sorry to hear about his RSV bronchiolitis and hospitalization – glad he’s getting better relatively quickly.

@Razadia: So sorry about you needing to give up your chickens. Sending you lots of hugs, and hopes that you will soon be in the situation to comfortably have them again.:hugs

@Phage: Sorry for your chicken-less state as well.:hugs
@MotorcycleChick: :frow

@dan26552: Always enjoy pics of your broody ducks!!!
@ChickenCanoe: Long time, no see! :frow Congrats on the great hatch form the Executioner incubator! (It’s just setting you up for a fall, I suspect – it’ll kill all the eggs next time!!!)

@BantyChooks: Good luck with the impromptu winter fraternity house for your roosters. They could kill each other – alternatively, you could go out there one day and find that they’re having a kegger… In all seriousness, I always assume that cock birds will need to be separated solo-style absent the usual flock setup if they’ve ever spent any time separated. It’s a pain (and a deterrent to keeping too many boys). If they've been together in the big flock, well, who knows.... :idunno

Oh, and I DID come back! :D BTW, the coop looks fantastic! I love the roost design – I may steal that idea…. Hugs to Jace! And walking a mile in my shoes, weather-wise? Preheat the oven to 400F, then open the oven door and stick your face in…

@Akrnaf2: Hi, Benny!!!!!
@Farmer Connie: :frow Sorry for your rain/flooding related losses. :hugs

Re: weather – It snowed (!!!!!) here in San Antonio a week or so ago (same front that kajira dealt with when she lost her goats) – a whole 2 inches! It hasn’t done that since 1985, apparently. I looked out the window and it took me a full minute to figure out why everything was white…

Hugs and prayers to everyone in California. Scary times. AGAIN. (Didn’t we just do this?!)

@daxigait: :frow Missed you!!! Thanks for your PMs – sorry I didn’t come back until now. :oops: Sorry about your animal challenges (weather, super glue, etc.) How have you been? Please send my hugs/vibes to meltel and let her know I’m thinking of her.

I want a lap turkey. I lurk on the turkey thread just to get my fix until I eventually get some.

@Christinecam: Update? Agree with @ronott1’s assessment/advice. (FWIW, once I had some juvenile Speckled Sussex that required multiple/more prolonged treatments to clear a very bad cocci infection, one needing an oral drench. All lived, but it was a much longer treatment period at the highest dose that got them through) You could try another course, along with the supportive treatment already suggested. Sounds like you’ve gotten some good suggestions.

Re: climbing goats – My Tractor Supply has a 2018 calendar called ‘Goats in Trees”. SOOOOO tempted…

@frizzlelove83: Not sure if you got a response, but post the photos. Don’t give up on them too soon based on candling (just my experience).

(I almost decided to leave BYC again for good when the subject o f Ralphie shaving his legs came up, but I struggled through…)

Whew!!! All caught up - and about time for bed! :th

- Ant Farm

Baby is almost 100%, still has some mucus but his doctor should say he's okay tomorrow. It sounds a lot worse after his saline rinse, I hope we can stop those tomorrow.

He was approved for his ESTA visa, so America is officially a go!!! We leave Tuesday morning, so tomorrow is last minute stuff like his one-month doctor appointment, finishing the packing, dyeing my babywearing jacket, cleaning up the apartment, and making sure we have all the formula we'll need for the trip. My mother in law will be coming by to help out, I'll be wearing the baby so I can get things done, and Husband will be out getting the formula and the dye.

Back
Top Bottom